White spots on african dwarf frog- please help!!

kiireki

Hello!! I need some help… This morning, I noticed that my african dwarf frog suddenly had spots all over him, and I don’t know what to do. I saw online that white fuzzy spots can be a fungal infection, but the spots on Albert don’t look like any of the example pictures- they’re more like how you’d see bigger spots on a dalmatian, not a bunch of tiny white ones that are in all the pictures, so I’m not sure if that’s what it is, or what to do…

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
2 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
We just recently upgraded to this one, probably around a few weeks ago
Does it have a filter?
Yep!
Does it have a heater?
Not currently
What is the water temperature?
I’m not sure an exact temperature, sorry!! I know that it’s around room temperature though, and it’s usually around 70° at my house
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
(Please list all fish and inverts.)
It’s just him!

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Usually every couple weeks
How much of the water do you change?
Before I got his new tank, I wasn’t aware you weren’t supposed to change all of it so I’d been changing it all, but now I know that it’s supposed to be around 30% based off what the new tank instructions were
What do you use to treat your water?
It’s spring water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I don’t really do either, should I be doing that?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: **
Nitrite: **
Nitrate: **
pH: **
**: I am so sorry, I don’t know about any of these….. I’m really sorry if I should and I will try and find out, I honestly only recently learned that I needed to have more a more specifically catered environment for him, since I was never told and he was always fine as he was for 8 years.

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish (frog)?
A couple times a week
How much do you feed your fish?
Just a little sprinkle of food
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
It’s at home so I can check when I get back, but it’s basically like beta food that I was given with him when I first got him? Like it came with him as a package deal
Do you feed frozen?
^^^
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
^^^

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish (frog)?
I think around 8 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
This morning, around 4 hours ago, and he was perfectly normal the last time I saw him a day or two ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
A bunch of almost dalmatian looking white fuzzy spots have appeared all over him, I’ll attach a picture below!
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Not yet, I’m not sure what to do to help him (which is why I’m asking here)
Was your fish (frog) physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Nope, he’s been perfectly healthy for the past 8 years since I got him
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
It’s too early to tell, I only noticed this morning but when I last saw him a few days ago when he still looked normal he was acting like usual

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I noticed this morning that he had a bunch of white spots all over him that almost look like mold?? I wasn’t able to really watch him for a long time to see if his behavior was different because I needed to leave for school…
I’m sorry if it’s unhelpful for me to post some of these answers without knowing what to say, but I really wanted to just try and find out what was wrong as soon as possible. I’ll attach some photos of him normally and how he looked this morning!
Also, the only recent changes I can think of that would maybe affect him are changing his tank to one with a proper filter a few weeks ago (which he’s been very happy and active about), and the fact that a few days ago his water got a bit low and the filter wasn’t able to really push water- I was planning on changing out some of the water and adding more so it would work properly today.
However, he’s never really had one before (I genuinely wasn’t aware that was what he needed), and he never showed any signs of being unhealthy for the past 8 years), so I don’t know if the new filter stopping for about two days would really effect him? But I figured it would be important to mention.
I’m sorry if this is hard to read, when I posted it the indentation I had put for the answers just disappeared…

Attachments

• F003693B-A88F-4946-B569-7FA1D6BAB124.jpeg
    F003693B-A88F-4946-B569-7FA1D6BAB124.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 11B02909-BCA1-42E8-A93C-06A93D79EF35.jpeg
    11B02909-BCA1-42E8-A93C-06A93D79EF35.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 6617CD21-8AA1-49E3-BCD3-2BDC410A1445.jpeg
    6617CD21-8AA1-49E3-BCD3-2BDC410A1445.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 23

cichlidL

That's a fungal infection. Treat it accordingly.

kiireki

That's a fungal infection. Treat it accordingly.
Do you know if there are any specific treatments that would help best? Like drops to put into the water, or something similar?

cichlidL

Do you know if there are any specific treatments that would help best? Like drops to put into the water, or something similar?
I haven't had this problem before, but most fish stores will sell a fungal treatment. Make sure it's specifically for treating fungal infections and not bacterial or parasitic. Antibiotics won't affect fungus.

kiireki

I haven't had this problem before, but most fish stores will sell a fungal treatment. Make sure it's specifically for treating fungal infections and not bacterial or parasitic. Antibiotics won't affect fungus.
Alright, thank you very much!!

cichlidL

Alright, thank you very much!!
No problem. I hope your frog recovers.

kiireki

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NickNack
Replies
Views