Question white spots in tank

jnm401

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So for a while now, I have had these hard white dots on my tank glass, gravel, plants, and decorations. There are no spots on the fish, so it doesn't look like ick. And the spots don't have tentacles so I don't think it is Hydra.

I read somewhere about Pileolaria sp?

First there were 18...then 32....then 40...70...80...100...i can't even count them anymore. The water parameters haven't changed since they arrived...and they showed up after I got snails...I did read about snail babies...but i don't know.

Any thoughts? Pic below.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Those look like snails to me, What type of snails did you buy? Many are able to reproduce pretty fast and can take over a tank in no time. Are you looking for a way to get rid of them?

jnm401

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't really know if I necessarily wanted to get rid of them...i just wanted to know what they are to make sure it wasn't something bad.

If they are snails, isn't is bad to have over 100 in there?

And I don't think they have changed size at all.

I thougt my snails might be a Pomacea paludosa, an apple snail, but they don't have that breathing tube thing that extends to the surface....Ramshorn Snails? I posted a pic below. They are medium sized, brown. Not much to look at but will do one heck of a clean job on your tank. I am going to the fish store where I got them tomorrow to get some other plants. I can find out then.

Last edited:

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im not really a snail expert, but those look like the nerite snails I have, they cant reproduce in fresh water so I dont think theyre the culprit. Its likely some snail eggs hitched a ride on your plants and they are starting to reproduce like crazy, Im not sure how much of a problem so many snails would be, they help out with cleaning up algae so if you dont mind looking at them I would keep them. The only problem I could see with them would be if they starting eating your plants and their increase on the bioload. You can control their numbers a little better by limiting your feeding and leaving a piece of lettuce in your tank overnight, the snails should congregate on the lettuce and you can remove them.

jnm401

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I haven't really noticed then moving...the ones on the glass in the 2nd pic in the first post were some of the first to arrive 3 months ago, in that same spot...i will try the lettuce thing tho, that's a cool idea. Thanks!

jnm401

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
woot! I think I found my answer!

thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom