Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all,

My neons for about the last year have slowly been developing single white spots by their mouths. At first I thought maybe it was the start of an ich outbreak, but no. Then I panicked about columnaris, but again, no. The fish are showing absolutely no other symptoms other than these spots, they are all swimming fine, eating like pigs, they seem perfectly healthy. I should mention that it initially was just the one fish who had this; however over the last year we now have 3 with tiny white spots on their mouths (again with no other symptoms).

A couple of weeks ago I went on holiday; a neighbour came to feed the fish every couple of days. When I came back, I found one of the neon's spots had gotten much larger, but he had also started developing another one on the other side of his mouth. Bear in mind - he's been like this for a year or so now and still showing no other symptoms. The second spot isn't white like the other one, it looks clear, like a bubble. The second spot has swollen to the same size as the other spot in a matter of days, and now looks like it is going white at the base.

My instincts say this is a fungus; it looks like one, it looks fuzzy, it seems to spread like one. I have treated the tank with pimafix, which I didn't expect to do much (it didn't) and then tried King British WS3, again to no avail.

Tank parameters:
Size: 46L
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Tank inhabitants: 2 Dwarf gourami (one male, one female), 3 false julli corys, 8 neons and a rogue cherry shrimp who appeared in my tank one day (no idea how, lol). Tank is heavily planted.

I do 25% water changes every week and the tank has been set up for about 18 months now.

I've attached some pics - can anyone identify what this is?? Any advice on how to treat much appreciated.

Thank you!

IMG_4862.JPGIMG_4864.JPGIMG_4867.JPGIMG_4869.JPGIMG_4870.JPGIMG_4876.JPGIMG_4877.JPGIMG_4878.JPGIMG_4881.JPG

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There have been several threads alike the past years. It doesn't seem to be quite contagious or lethal but seems to be untreatable as well and neon-specific. Therefor I suspect a viral infection that looks a bit like lymphocystis.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What would you recommend? I am concerned that with two large things on his face the neon soon won't be able to eat and I really have no wish to watch him slowly starve to death.

Do you think it would be best to remove the neons affected? If that is done, what do you think the chances are that any new neons will come down with this? I don't really want to enter into a cyclical pattern of buying-and-replacing neons...I cry when I have to put fish to sleep lol. Thank goodness it has only had to be done twice in the last 10 years!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Difficult to answer that one. As for Lymphocystis : it isn't lethal that fast but feeding can get an issue. I'd euthanise when you notice that. I don't exactly know when they catch it (if it isna virus). I suspect when raised at the farm (just like Dwarf Gourami Disease). There is so few info about I really can't answer your question about that. Sorry !

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No worries, thanks for your replies! Helps to get another opinion for sure I suppose all I can do is keep up with the water changes and keep an eye on them all.

Do you know if this is just neons that it affects or if it is all tetras? If I get into a situation where I have to slowly euthanise one by one I don't want to have to go through that again but I really like tetras! Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 67.7%

Top Bottom