White Spots but I don't think it's Ick..

Bahamut

My male and female Swordtails recently had ick and I have been treating them with Quick Cure and doing water changes for about a week now. The ick seems to have gone away, they had a bunch of small white grains on them and now they have none. However, my male swordtail has 4 white dots on each of his pectoral fins that don't go away. He didn't have them when I first got him and they seemed to appear after the ick subsided. He's very active and has been eating normally. The spots also don't appear to be fungus since they are not cottony. Any ideas what this could be?

Chunk101

One of my goldfish frequently gets these white spots on mostly on the edges of his fins. In my case I think it's saprolengnia, which is a type of fungus. This is treatable with removing organic matter in the tank. Water changes, gravel vacuuming and cleaning out the filters, not simultaneously. The fungus isn't always cottony.

However, are you sure it isn't ick since you already had an outbreak?

Bahamut

I managed to get pictures of it

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
they look almost transparent when they're not in the light. I'm not sure if it isn't ick, but it doesn't look like the ick he had on his body or tail, these spots look much bigger. And all the ick that was on his body and tail have come off. Theres no gravel in my tank, I separated them from the main tank when I first saw the ick (first time dealing with ick, then I found out I had to treat the main tank too ops. And I've been doing water changes every 3 days :-\

Chunk101

How much water have you been changing every 3 days?
Cause your tank isn't very big, so you could try doing like 20% pwc daily for a week and see if that helps. I'm sorry this is the extent of my disease treatment knowledge.

Bahamut

They're in a 5 gallon so I've been doing 50% I really appreciate your help I've just been wanting to put them back into the main tank and then I see these spots and don't know if I should keep them in here longer or put them back :/

Siould

One of my new Pearlscales has white spots. It looks almost exactly like what is on your fish. How many gallons is your tank? Swordtails should be in a minimum of 30-gallons and stress will cause fish to get sick.

Bahamut

They were living in a 20 gallon long but I had temporarily moved them into a 5 gallon when I saw they had what appeared to be, and indeed was, ick. I moved them because I had fry in the main tank in a net breeder and was concerned that treating the tank (I used Quick Cure to treat the swordtails) would kill the fry. Hmm.. I had read that swordtails needed a minimum of 10 gallons :-\

junebug

Your swords are fine in a 20 gallon long (not that it's the issue here, just saying). Minimum tank size for them is actually 20 gallons, not 30, not 10, as they have a large bioload.

If you're using quick cure to treat for ICH, you'll want to finish out the treatment. If those spots are still on the male sword's fin, that may just be residual scars from ICH spores, which can sometimes happen. I doubt it's any kind of fungus or similar, as the quick cure would kill that during treatment.

Siould

They need a 30-gallon aquarium. You can’t put Swordtails in a 20-gallon, I’m sorry.

Mamajin

They need a 30-gallon aquarium. You can’t put Swordtails in a 20-gallon, I’m sorry.

It depends on the type of swordtail. Some are small enough for a 20 gallon (Pineapple Swordtail for example), and some need a 30 gallon (HI Fin Swordtail as another example). Mickey Mouse Swordtail is minimum 20 gallons.

junebug

Right... except every breeder in the US keeps them in either 40 gallons (for larger colonies) or 20 gallons for breeding.

Just sayin, I've been keeping swordtails for a good few years, I know what size tank they can live in. It needs to be about 2 feet long, which is a 20 gallon long, for most strains. And Mamajin is right, different strains have slightly different sizes and therefore tank size requirements vary slightly with the potential bioload. They vary even further with the presence of females in the tank and intentions with the fry.

Bahamut

Well I was going off the swordtail profile that they have on Fishlore, but of course the bigger the tank, the happier and healthier the fish will be I ended up moving them back into the main 20 gallon tank because I figured that if it was any remains of the ick then that tank would be better to treat them in anyway. Well I moved them back in yesterday and today the white spots seem to be fading ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies
Views
Stinky
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views