White spot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by konyo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. konyoNew MemberMember

Hey guys,
    I have just been sat looking at my tank and noticed a white spot on one off my neon tetras and instantly though it was ich so did a little research and by the looks of it, it does not look to be ich as its just one spot and just looks to big(roughly the size of half to a third of a grain of rice) so any help or advice would be great

2. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Hi, konyo

I'm not sure exactly what it is without a clear picture of the fish. My guess without a photo of it, is either maybe a parasite or some type of fungus.

If you can, take a clear picture of it and post it to your thread here. That would make it easier to hopefully assist to the matter. :)

3. konyoNew MemberMember

Only just managed to get a pic on my phone so not sure how it will look on here image.jpg
    Hope this helps with what it might be

4. konyoNew MemberMember

The black thing us a uv filter don't know if that helps

5. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I'm not totally for sure, as the picture is kind of blurry, but I can about bet it's some type of fungus. IMO, if that is the case, I wouldn't worry too much on quarantining the fish as it might have already started to infect or spread to the other fishes. Others might have different insight, though.

The first thing I'd suggest and it won't hurt is to slowly (about 1 Degree every hour or two) bring the temperature of the water up to around 86 F (30 C) and leave the water at that temp for at least 14 days. That will help with any type of ICH or Fungus, in case it is ICH.

ICH usually looks like a bunch of salt splattered on the fish. It does seem to appear to be only one white spot (so far).

6. konyoNew MemberMember

Thanks for the speedy responce already started to increase temp.
    So do I need to worry about losing any fish? And does the uv filter help at all?

7. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I'm not experienced or have the knowledge about the UV filters. On losing any fishes - No one would be able to give you a guarantee on that. Let's hope not at least!

I wouldn't think any type of filter, even if it's a UV filter, would have any relevancy in the matter, but I could be wrong.

I hope the fishes get better soon! Keep us updated, too. :)

8. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum.

Question: Does that white spot look a bit like white fluff? That's what I see in the picture.

If my assumption is correct you do not want to raise the heat. Heat is used to kill parasites; and it grows bacteria and fungus.

Please hold off on raising the heat until we know what is affecting your fish. The wrong treatment will have the wrong effect.

9. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

From now on, I won't be helping with any fungal or ICH threads.

In fact, I told myself I wouldn't be helping on the forum anymore but I seemed to be doing that again. I'll have to remember to stick to that this time.

Konyo - I apologize for the wrong information.

10. konyoNew MemberMember

Been keeping my eye on my little tetra and it seems to be chased away by the other neons when it try's to group with them is this normal?

11. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, this is very normal. The school is not allow an infected/sick fish stay within the school. It is their way to attempting to protect themselves.

As it can be very difficult to get a clear picture, could you describe the white spot? Is it raised? Look like fluffy cotton? Stringy? Flat? Solid? We need to identify what is wrong before it spreads.

12. konyoNew MemberMember

It's raised looks solid, just tried to take se more pics but they keep blurring

13. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Do you have a QT you could move the affected fish into? This does sound like it could be a type of fungus, but without knowing for sure it is difficult to offer recommendations.

Does the fish have a crooked spine? Is the neon losing its red/blue coloring? Does he swim differently? Other than being ousted from the school what else is different? Some changes can be so minor it is difficult to pick up on.

Try looking up Neon Tetra Disease.

For now I would do daily water changes and add freshly grated garlic to the foods offered. Many times this will help the fish to heal itself.

Keep us posted on any changes, no matter how small. Once we can figure this out then we can suggest a treatment.

14. konyoNew MemberMember

Unfortunalty I don't have a qt tank as I don't have that much space and I have been watching this little one for the last three days and the only thing that's different with him is the the white spot he is swimming normal his colour is fine looks extaclty like the others, his spine is fine.
    So I don't know what's wrong now

15. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

As the neon does not appear to be getting worse and no one else is affected then you best bet may be to keep the temperature low, add fresh garlic, and do a couple water changes a week. It is entirely possible that the fish can heal itself with the immune booster (garlic) and fresh water.

If there is no change or the fish starts to loose ground, you might want to consider an Epsom Salt bath or a Hydrogen Peroxide bath. Each bath is done in a separate container. Tuperware or a bucket could work as a temporary tank. I can share the details on how to do this if it is necessary.

Keep us posted on any changes that may develop.

16. konyoNew MemberMember

Hi just an update, nothing has changed it's not got any bigger or smaller or spread to other fish so don't know if its anything malicious or not but it don't seem to be bothering him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice