White Spot On Tail.. Is It Ich?

Richie99

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I noticed my goldfish's eyes were a bit cloudy 2 days ago and started using Melafix. I just noticed a white dot on it's caudal fin and not sure if this can be an early sign of Ich. I added the fish to a 40 gallon cycled tank about a week ago and the water parameters are all good. He's definitely out of sorts (hiding on the corner alot). I attached some photos of the eye and fin. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The cloudy eye is due to bacteria, it's likely due to poor water conditions. Easily remedied by water changes as it helps promote good health.

As for the white spot, are there any other fish that has the same, or does the fish exhibit other sugar like crystals around the body and fins? If so that would likely be ich. To me...the white dote might be more of a broken part of the fin, like when you fracture a finger, but it's in the middle part of the bone and not the tip...that's what it looks like to me and will heal in time.

But keep an eye on it, if you do see sugary crystals all over the body, that's ich.

What size is this tank? How many fish?

Richie99

Reaction score
Fashooga said:
The cloudy eye is due to bacteria, it's likely due to poor water conditions. Easily remedied by water changes as it helps promote good health.

As for the white spot, are there any other fish that has the same, or does the fish exhibit other sugar like crystals around the body and fins? If so that would likely be ich. To me...the white dote might be more of a broken part of the fin, like when you fracture a finger, but it's in the middle part of the bone and not the tip...that's what it looks like to me and will heal in time.

But keep an eye on it, if you do see sugary crystals all over the body, that's ich.

What size is this tank? How many fish?
Thank you for the reply! The tank is 40 Gallon breeder and he is the only fish in the tank. I don't see any other white spots only the one on the fin.

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It does not look like ich to me, as it has no texture. It looks like soem natural advanced coloration, or clamping of the fins.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Richie99 said:
Thank you for the reply! The tank is 40 Gallon breeder and he is the only fish in the tank. I don't see any other white spots only the one on the fin.
I keep an eye on it but I think he might have hit his fin on something hard and busted a cartilage.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom