White Spot On Eye?

1. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone, over the past couple of months that I've had Master Kohga, I've seen just how crazy plakats are lol. I had a halfmoon before him and he was no where near as active as my new boy. But something caught my eye, and his too. He has like a white dot/film over his right eye and a faint haziness over his left. It was very hard to get pictures of him but I tried.
    He's in a 20 gal long, heater set at 78 (tank is usually 80, thanks Florida), has an HOB filter, polymer clay decor, anacharis, and two nerite snails.
    Any ideas? Thinking cataracts but he still moves around pretty well I think.
    (Zoomed in on the pics to get a better view of the eyes)

The last two images is what he looked like when I first got him. Screenshot_20180529-154443.jpg Screenshot_20180529-154453.jpg Screenshot_20180529-154502.jpg Screenshot_20180529-154633.jpg Screenshot_20180529-154650.jpg

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey @Goldiemom does this look like a tear to you? (Woke hubs up).

3. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Looks like he may have got poked with something. A little white dot in eye. Perhaps starting to get a little hazy.

4. OP
    OP
    Gala

Which I hate it if he did get poked, cause I have no idea what it could be lol.

5. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I went through the same thing with one of my goldfish. Finally figured out a male was getting a little too rough with her during spawning and she scraped it on the gravel.

6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

I just want to say what a cute koi! Ive seen a betta at the store with the same issue, i asked and they told me he was fine... :/

7. Gypsy13

Super clean betta warm water will do wonders. :)

8. OP
    OP
    Gala

I can see him scraping it on something, he's a wild child lol
    I'm guessing maybe some gravel, he likes to scavenge every now and then.

9. OP
    OP
    Gala

So the same thing is now on his other eye...I wonder if he is hitting his face on the nerite snail eggs when he swims in front of the tank...might be cutting his eyes on those..

10. Gypsy13

That would be painful.

11. OP
    OP
    Gala

It kills me too because I was just telling my mom how nice the snails were being not putting any eggs on the front glass. Then the next day there was like twenty on the front glass lol.
    He can still see okay and everything, acting normal and stuff.

12. Gypsy13

Watch closely. :)

13. OP
    OP
    Gala

Okay so it seems like there is a very fine and very short thread coming out of each eye. He can still see fine and ate quickly as usual. He's not acting out of the ordinary...I wonder if maybe this is it's way of healing? I've heard low pH can cause cloudy eyes, will have to test it tomorrow if I remember, just in case.
    I'll see if I can get a pic of him tomorrow when the lights are on.

14. Gypsy13

Please do. I don’t like little anythings coming out of eyes.

15. OP
    OP
    Gala

Good news, I didn't see the threads anymore and it could just be hopeful thinking but his eyes look better. Once I get home I'm going to test the pH.

16. Gypsy13

Wonderful. Keep watching though. Keep us posted? Please?

17. OP
    OP
    Gala

pH is 6.6, I know that is a little low so maybe it is just a water thing. As long as he is healthy and happy then I don't mind