White spot on both snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by s2c2, Jul 28, 2015.

1. s

s2c2 Valued Member Member

I was just given a tank that had two snails. Both snails have white spots at the center of the swirl in their shells. Is this a parasite or illness? Anything I should be concerned about? Thank you!

To give some back story... These two snails are actually pretty incredible. The man that gave me this tank, drained the tank and moved the fish to a separate housing tank. All that he left in the empty tank was the brown gravel. He didn't realize there were still snails in the tank. The tank was empty for several days before I got it. When I filled it, one of my brown "pieces of gravel" started climbing the tank glass. :) Hardy little fellas.

[​IMG]

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

It looks like the tip of it's swirl got broken off at some point, a couple of my nerites have the same thing. It's nothing to worry about, it's not an illness or anything, just a previous injury.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like you have 2 mystery snail, congrats. Just feed them calcium rich foods like dark leafy greens, zuchinni squash, green beans, etc. It is nothing to worry about and not a parasite. Their shells look good to me. You can also add a little piece of cuttlebone that you buy for birds, to the water and that also adds calcium. Alison

4. OP
    OP
    s

Great! Thank you!!

5. Bijou88

They're not mystery snails, the spiral is wrong. They look like olive nerite snails to me. Their care is the same as mentioned above. Good luck with your little survivors!

6. aliray

I would go with Bijou she has more experience with snail than I do. Alison

7. OP
    OP
    s

aliray, how do I get the leafy greens to sink? They just float on the top and I'm not sure the snails will find them. Thanks!

8. aliray

Sick a stainless steel fork in it and use that to hold it to the bottom, or put a spoon on top of it, They have veggie clips in pet stores that you can put it in the clip and use the suction cup on the back to stick it to the glass, or you can use a small rock to hold it down or tie it to and I have also used bamboo squewers for shishkabob to stick through it and hold it down. Alison

9. Bijou88

I use a rubber band to secure the veggies to a rock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice