white spot in eye! Help

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Akari_32, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

one of my rabbits, Princess, has a milky white spot over her pupil. im not sure how much its effecting her vision, but i did do a couple of tests and she blinked each time (tho not right away). im not sure what it could be or what its from. im guessing my girls are about 6-7 years old, tho i could be wrong. any ideas would be awesome.

Attached Files:

2. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

Could be an infection or cateracts.

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

its almost perfeclty round, and i just noticed it yesterday, tho i was gone since thursday and my grandparents were creature sitting for me. i was thinking cateracts, but i've never seen it before, so i wasnt sure. its pretty clear, and theres a little squiggle thing, tho it could just be a vien or something ???

4. b

I don't think cataracts come on that suddenly. Can you take her to a vet to have it checked out? How's her other eye look?

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

her other eye looks just fine. i had them out yesterday and i saw the greyish in her eye and thot it was just the sun catching it at a wierd angle but picked her up to look any way, and looked at her other eye, too, while i had her, and it looked ok. theres not much of a chance at getting her to a vet tho. my parents hardly ever even take my dogs to vet D= (plus we have no money... whoo hoo...). she's still acting the same, runing around like a toddler on 8 pounds of sugar and eating and drinking and all that...

6. b

Maybe you could ask if anybody knows what this is on a rabbit forum.

7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

i could! thats a good idea! thanks Bubblefish :;hug2

to anyone else out there, if u have any ideas, post away! :;bmu

8. b

You're welcome. Good luck.

9. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

If there is no sign of infection or redness or irritation in the eye, it could just be old age creeping up. It can happen in just one eye, and it can appear to happen fairly quickly. I say "appear to happen" because the cataract builds up slowly but when it finally reaches a certain 'thickness' it becomes noticeably cloudy. You might be able to find some opthalmic ointment - basically and antibiotic eye ointment. Dr's Foster and Smith sells it, but you might be able to find it at a pet store near you. It might be easier to find it at a feed supply store rather than the typical pet store.

10. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

thanks! i'll have to look into that. depending on how much it costs, i maybe able to get some for doing some chores or going to work with mom...

11. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Aw, poor baby. If a vet isn't an option, I'd check on a rabbit forum as suggested above. Also, if you could call a vet, let them know that you don't have the money to bring her in, they may be able to help you figure out a treatment over the phone.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

12. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

i checked on her eye again yesterday and it didnt look any different and it doesnt seem to be bothering her, so i'll just watch it for a while and see what happens. i may be able to call the vet and get it checked over the phone, but i dunno if he'll do that or not. thanks again guys, and keep throwing ideas out for me! <3 =)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice