White spot/ick/ich recommendations

1. N

Nissile Valued Member Member

So my fish have white spot and i don't want to use any medicine as they are not worth it, but that doesn't mean I don't want to save them. They have they white spots on them, should I just leave them to survive it? If they do survive could they get reinfected or would they have immunity? What should I do? Thanks

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 6012A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

It defo needs treating. They won't be immune afterwards but keeping the tank clean and the fish healty will defo help to keep Ich away !!!
    Depending on the fish you could raise the temp up to 31C for some time. The parasites won't survive that. That's the only natural treatment to me. Be sure it is Ich btw. Some (bacterial) infections show white spots as well, but love the temp raising !!!

3. OP
    OP
    N

These are white clouds so how long should I raise it for? I don't think they can survive such high temps for long periods of time

4. DoubleDutch

Mmm that's a species that like cooler water. Why don't you want to use a anti Ich-med?

5. DoubleDutch

To my believe it's about a week, but I can go wrong there.

6. DoubleDutch

Have a look in the sticky's on the forum !

7. OP
    OP
    N

They're just not worth it. I've never had this before.

8. DoubleDutch

Mmm okay. Not meand to be offensive, but don't you think we owe all living animals that keeping them also means treating them when needed? Are anti Ich meds very expensive overthere ? Regards Aad

9. OP
    OP
    N

I'll have a look. So I've read that once the spots are on the fish, all you can do is to kill the pre existing parasites in the tank and then wait for the spots to leave. Is this true or does the medicine actually work on the fungal growths on the fish.

10. DoubleDutch

Most meds will kill the parasites in the free swiimming stage of their lifecycle. No new spots occure and the ones on the fish dissapear (going in another stage). Very important to go through the whole treatment though you might not see any spots anymore. Do the spots really look like fungus?

11. OP
    OP
    N

Well they look like little white balls/spots.