White Spot Causes?

Talzin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I purchased 2 neon tetras and 8 harlequin rasboras last Thursday and placed them into my 10 gallon guppy/quarantine tank. I was planning on purchasing the rasboras but the neon's were the last two in the store and looked lonely so I couldn't resist. The tank usually houses my five guppies but I moved them into my community tank so I could use their tank for quarantine. Tank is fully cycled, well planted with a few good hiding spots. I've checked the parameters using the API master test kit a few times (also checking my community tank because of the increased bioload). Nitrates are a bit high, between 20-40, but that's because my local water has nitrates in it.

Anyway, all that to say the day after I brought them home one of the rasboras developed a white spot on its side. I've tried to grab a picture but they're fast little things and I've failed so far. It looks exactly what I'd imagine ich looking like, slightly larger then a grain of salt. I immediately began treatment with the only thing I had on hand, Seachem ParaGuard, put an airstone in the tank and raised the temp a bit to 81. I've been doing 25% water changes every other day, including thorough gravel vacs. It's been six days and the white spot is still there and there is no sign of spots on any other fish. I was under the assumption that ich would have fallen off by now or there would be other infections. What else could it be? The rasboras all seem happy, eating well and schooling, so I'm a bit confused. I don't want to continue to medicate if I don't need to but am worried that I might be missing something important.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you checked ammonia and nitrite?
The two lonely neon tetras are probably still pretty lonely, so if I were you I'd buy at least four more as soon as possible.

Talzin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ammonia and nitrite are zero.

The neons will be moving to my community tank as soon as I find and cure whatever caused the white spot on the rasbora. I know it isn't ideal but I already have a small school of six neons so they'll have company soon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom