White Spot Bleeding Heart Tetra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky3ma

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi i recently (1 month ago) setup a 36 gallon bow front adding 2 angelfish and 6 bleeding heart tetras. I have swapped a filter from my previous established 29 gallon tank. One of the bleeding heart tetras seems to have developed a kind of "dropped jaw look" in his front gill (see picture) he also has a white spot but i'm not sure if its ich or something else. Unfortunately i have no way to quarantine the fish coming from the fish store so they were added immediately. No water parameters in market for a test kit asap. Some help identifying this disease and treatment could really help me.

Attachments

OP
K

Ky3ma

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I didn’t, no sign of disease in the tank that I bought them from. Not sure what it could be. She’s breathing less rapidly today and it appears the gill has closed slightly but the white spot it still there. If you need better pictures I can provide them. I can also bring my water to my Lfs but I doubt it is water quality as i believe it’s cycled and do pwc each week.

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The lfs usually use the test strips which aren't accurate. Better pictures would be very helpful! her rapid breathing was most likely from stress. You should look into getting the API master test kit, its $17 on amazon and will last a year or two

OP
K

Ky3ma

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I understand just that I’m in Canada and the cheapest I can get a master test kit is 40$. I will provide a few more pictures.

The thing that appears to be his mouth is his gill
fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay the white dot isn't anything to be concerned about unless she gets more and they are smaller. as for the mouth looking like that, i would treat her with some fungus cure and turn the temp. to 80-83 if it isn't already. if that doesn't help try body cure and if that doesnt help she has some kind of defect or injury. Can i get a picture of the whole tank?

OP
K

Ky3ma

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can i ask what medications you would recommend (brand specifics)? I currently have the tank at 78 Do i set the heater direct to 80 or slowly increase the temp?
fish3.jpg

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Can i ask what medications you would recommend (brand specifics)? I currently have the tank at 78 Do i set the heater direct to 80 or slowly increase the temp?View attachment 457703
Set it right to 80, also not sure if you knew this but the bleeding heart tetra's require a temp. of 80-86
I recommend these medications:
If none of these help after treating for a week (each) then its a defect. i see nothing it the tank that could have hurt her

I just find it strange that the defect (if its a defect)is showing up now...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

Ky3ma

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thanks for the help. I will try API fungus care and raise the temperature, Although according the fish-lore profile for bleeding Heart tetra's they can live in a range of 70-80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom