White Spot after cycling for 3 weeks

Alfsdad
HI all.

I bought my son a 60 litre tank, it cycled for 3 weeks (as per pet store instruction) before we introduced some platys. There were 4 females and a male. These lived a perfectly happy life for 2 weeks until I purchased and introduced 5 neons and a nice bushy live plant for fry to hide in. Within 2 days (yesterday) I noticed that 2 of the fat platys had given birth, then shortly after that the platys had white spot, I immediately went to the pet store for advice and bought some antI white spot and administered the dose as recommended.

I woke this morning to find 3 of the females sat on the bottom of the tank rigid as can be. I’ve removed them, but now the remaining female and male are just lounging around on the bottom, moving if I go near them so they are alive, but not swimming. The neons and 5 fry don’t seem to be affected to the same degree although none of the fish are feeding, both this morning and this evenings flake were removed untouched after 30 minutes.

Any advice on what I may be doing wrong? I am under the impression that I’m going to wake up to more dead fish tomorrow

Many thanks in advance
Sam

Advertisement
FrostedFlakes
How did you cycle the tank?
What is your water change schedule?
I am assuming by white spot you mean ich, what is the exact name for the med you used?
Do you have any means of testing your water?
Also, 5 platys is just enough fish for a 60 liter. With the amount of fry that will be produced it will quickly become overstocked. Next time, I would go all male.
Do your fish still have white spots? If so, may we have a picture?

Advertisement
Alfsdad
Hi, thank you for the reply.

To cycle the tank I was told to run it and add some fish flake for a couple of days, which I did. I have no means of testing the water so I haven’t done so. I am new to fish keeping so have been following all advice from the local pet shop. The white spot (Ich) treatment I’ve used is Interpet white contains formaldehyde and malachite green oxalate according to the box.

The fish with obvious white spot died yesterday, the white spot on my remaining female appears to be going down, I’m just now worried as none of my fish are feeding.

My male died overnight so I only have one female platy left. I will attach photos if I work out how.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
Alfsdad
In regards to water changes, I did a quarter tank every week until I treated the water on Friday night, but haven’t done any since until treatment stops

Alfsdad
*Another update*

Turns out my male isn’t dead after all, went to remove him and he swam off.

I just gave some frozen bloodworms, the neons went nuts and demolished the lot, the platys didn’t react.

FrostedFlakes
From what I can observe, I don't really see any ich. Could you get a better picture?
I can for sure tell you your tank isn't cycled. 3 weeks is too little time for a tank to cycle and the flake method is not very productive. The only way to know if your tank is cycled is to test it. This is a must. I recommend getting the API master test kit or possibly your pet store will test for you. I believe your fish are suffering from poor water quality and even if they do have ich, that derives from poor water quality. What these fish need first is very clean water. I recommend changing the water around 25% a day using the water conditioner seachem prime.
I have never heard of interpret white, if that was the name of the med, but it does seem to contain ich killing compunds. I just know formaldehyde is a bit aggressive. If you could do an immediate water change and find any way to test you water that'd be great

Advertisement
Alfsdad
Many thanks for the advice, it quite possibly is the water, I followed the advice I was given (wish I’d looked at this forum first!) I have been out and bought some test strips. I will be testing the water and doing a water change soon. Will post the results.

The treatment I think is the pet shop own brand (pets at home) in the uk

Alfsdad
Alfsdad
Ive now done a water change and added an airblock to move the water around a bit more, all fish are now feeding so hopefully things are looking up

FrostedFlakes
That's good to hear and hopefully it will all go well just keep up with the changes. Also, test strips are notorious for being inaccurate so I would go for the liquid tests. Also, for now, stop with the meds. The pictures don't seem like ich to me tbh but it could be the quality of the pictures. If they don't have ich, the meds are really stressing them.

Alfsdad
That's good to hear and hopefully it will all go well just keep up with the changes. Also, test strips are notorious for being inaccurate so I would go for the liquid tests. Also, for now, stop with the meds. The pictures don't seem like ich to me tbh but it could be the quality of the pictures. If they don't have ich, the meds are really stressing them.

Thank you for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

FrostedFlakes
You're very welcome. Feel free to ask more questions if need be

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CalciumCarbonate
Replies
Views
Mizzom
Replies
Views
Coradee