White specs?

1. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I've seen others post here about white specs in their tanks but I've seen a multitude of answers.

Here's a really bad video of some small (which kinda remind me of teeny teent spiders) specs crawling and jumping around my tank. Help?

https://youtu.be/FR1FB1jisIk

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If they're jumping then they're probably copepods;) Can't watch it on my computer but I'm going to retrieve my phone and try to watch it there. It's newer.

Ok, saw it on my phone, they are definitely copepods!

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

That's the one where it means you just have clean water right? No harm no foul?

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Right! Your fish and shrimp might even eat them if they can see them. If they were any bigger I'd probably enjoy them with lemon and butter;)

5. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Congrats on a nice clean tank!

6. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I'm actually surprised they're in there... like have you seen the uncontrollable mess of MTS poop... its horrendous! I finally just got the tank to hold a cycle. I only had 2 RCS while I was waiting for my second shipment of them so it wouldn't hold a cycle.

7. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Good for you, my tanks won't let me keep shrimp in them... in other words they keep dying off :(

8. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

My first batch basically all died off except for 1. Then I got 7 more. Now they had 2 babies and I'm getting 5 more for free.

I just bought bacter-ae which I've never seen before. It's a powder that helps make biofilm for the shrimp to eat. A member on here used it and had great success with it.

9. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, maybe I'll try that. :)