White specs on glass

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Viper, Mar 25, 2010.

1. V

Viper New Member Member

Hey guys, I have 2 clowns in a 29 gallon tank. I also have 4 turbo snails and 2 nerite snails. I have had the clowns for about a month and the snails for a little less than that. I have started to find white specs on my glass of the tank. I don't know what they are. Can anyone help?

If you need any of my stats check my aquarium profile.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

My guess would be copepods. If you look really closely, do they look like teeny tiny bugs?

3. OP
    OP
    V

Viper New Member Member

Well i don't think they are. these things look more like very small blobs and they don't move or anything. could they have something to do with the snails?

4. Raamiah

Raamiah Valued Member Member

Might they be nuisance star fish? Then again you don't have live rock so I don't know how they might get there. Got any pics you can share?

5. i

ibiaquariums Valued Member Member

Hi there..

Hmm i have white specs... really really tiny, i have a few blobs like you mentioned that also dont move.. but i have longish white thin worm like specs that dooooo move, and wriggle around... anyone know what those are???

They look nothing like copepods to me. I wish it were lol!

6. N

Naeusu Valued Member Member

longish white worm like specs are probably either spirorbid worms (did i spell that right?) or vermatid snails. Both are filter feeders but are just annoying in large quantities. Six lines will eat the vermatids.

7. OP
    OP
    V

Viper New Member Member

So to update my siutation, some of the sacks have hatched and it seems they are some kind of starfish as someone had mentioned above. they are all over but aren't moving. they have b/w 5-8 arms that moves (mostly cause of the current) not sure what to do about these. any ideas?

I don't have live rock but do have live sand and crushed coral.

Side note: i think i see the dreaded green hair algae... any ideas how to get rid of it before it becomes a problem.

8. s

smileyfish Valued Member Member

well the little star fish, if theyre what im thinking of arent a problem... (i've seen them in my tanks and they dont seem like a problem).

As for the green hair algae there are many different things you can do.
    1) Do waterchanges often and properly, increase skimming (if used), maybe reduce the lighting, and DONT overfeed (both of these eliminate SO many problems)
    2) There are a few different fish that will eat the the algae such as:
    tangs (too big for your tank)
    rabbit fish (also too big for your tank)
    (redlip or lawnmower) blennies (they wont always eat the algae)
    Angelfish (only dwarfs in a coral tank)
    generally any herbivorous fish will eat algae (some more than others)
    3) There are a few invertebrates that will eat the algae
    (super turbo or trochus) snails (generally non-expensive, blend in, they eat to live and live to eat, not territorial or anything)
    sea hairs (make sure you get the right kind)
    lettuce leaf nudibranch (will die once the algae is gone but should get rid of it in days)

9. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

First of all are you using RO water secondly you just started tank and is still in the process of growing stronger do not do water changes do you have any phosphates or nitrates? to maintain hair algaea the best and fastest way is a sea hare I just got one today because of same problem it's due to tank still growing just keep everything going as you are this is about the last stage for tank to really flourish!Ask LFS if you purchuse hare to remove algae can you take it back after you are through with it. I myself a'm keeping him for when I need it on next reef I'm about to start.

10. OP
    OP
    V

Viper New Member Member

Thanks guys. I did a 25-30% water change, even though it had only been about 2.5 weeks since the last change. Also the nitrates were still below 5ppm. While doing the change i also pulled out most of the algae. there wasn't a lot. there were a few spots here and there on the substrate, but the majority was on my money plant (or whatever its called). So i pretty much threw out most of the plants (had 2). Both had sprouted new stems so i busted the roots and was able to toss the affected portions of the plants.

For the water change i used about 5 gallons of the walmart culligan treated water which is supposed to use RO. the rest was treated tap water.

The other thing is i never really finished purchasing my cuc, so i went and purchased 14 blue legged hermit craps to go along with my 4 turbo snails and 2 nerite snails.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  11. s

shawnw Valued Member Member

i also found it helpfull to pull out green hair algea... i have been using water from walmart as well... can tell a difference.. i have a 90 gallon with just 2 clownfish... wanting to buy something different but i just dont have any luck with anything.. i have went thru a blenny and a tang and a black and white clown.. all have passed....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice