White specks getting worse

Grace4514

Reaction score
I already posted about it but there's more I think and its driving me up the wall. This is after doing a small water change. I have been doing two 25% water changes a week. But I'm going to slow down since my water has somehow been under 10 ppm nitrates even with a goldfish when doing two changes. Since the whole virus and my state will be shutting down soon I don't want to waste my conditioner lol. In this video the bubblers and filter had been off for at least 5 minutes maybe more

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are they particles (like dust) or live things swimming around?

If particles: How long has the tank been running, is this a new issue, what media is in the filter (and was it rinsed), what kind of substrate (and was it rinsed), and did anything change before you noticed the specks?

OP
Grace4514

Grace4514

Reaction score
This is with the filter and everything turn off for 5 or more minutes so in the video. You can see some going up and some going down, so I'm not sure what it is I saw stuff gather at the top but not all of it. I even tried sythoning the water through like fine mesh to catch anything but it's too small. My filter is a penguin 350 bio wheel it just has the carbon cartridges that come with it. I gravel vacuum every week but all of this stuff floats up top. And with the top like completely covered by lids I don't understand how it could be a ton of dust. I didnt do anything different before this happened I just noticed it a few weeks ago and it just seems to be getting more noticeable

OP
Grace4514

Grace4514

Reaction score
The tank has been running like 3 years

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This looks to me like just some normal teeny tiny tank debris. Nothing harmful. If it really drives you crazy, something you could try is adding filter floss to your filter, but there is no guarantee it will remove these specs.

New Threads