white speck on pec. fin

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by SOS, Mar 1, 2006.

1. S

SOS New Member Member

I have a 30 gallon that houses two frontosas and a convict.The convict has had a white spot on his right pectoral fin for about a week.There is no sign of any other spots on him or the other two.Could this be ich, or if not, what else could it be?Tank is kept at 82 degrees.Is it safe to add salt with the fronts and the convict if needed?The fish are very active and eating well.           
            T.I.A.

2. Isabella

Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

One speck may mean nothing and it may mean everything. It's very hard to identify fish diseases in their early stages. It's also hard to identify them correctly. It could well be the beginning of ich if it's a white salt-grain-like spot. However it may be too early to tell.

If you're unsure what it is and if it's just one spot, and if the fish is eating and swimming well, maybe just wait for now and observe if any more of the spots are showing up. In the meantime, you could perform more frequent and larger water changes - water changes are always good when fish are sick. What you can also do while you're observing the fish is to use aquarium salt treatment. Add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. Dissolve the salt first in a cup or two of your tank water. Then start adding salt to your tank very slowly, little by little, until everyting is poured into the tank. Then, if the disease doesn't go away, you could be adding salt with every water change - if you take out 5 gallons of water, add respectively the same amount of salt with new water - namely 1 tablespoon (because you're changing 5 gallons of water). If the disease goes away, then you'll remove the remaining salt from the water by performing your regular water changes.

Another alternative that I have read about is a"salt bath". Here is more information about it: https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1111.0 . Please read everything in this post so you can decide for yourself whether you prefer a salt bath or adding salt to your tank. Plus, make sure your fish can tolerate salt. If they can't, disregard my advice. I do not know about frontosas and convicts. My advice is a general one for freshwater tropical fish.

3. Isabella

Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

P.S. I just have read that frontosas can get as big as 14-16 inches (probably smaller in a tank, maybe 12 inches - which is still a lot). You know that, right? A 30 gallon tank will soon be too small for even one frontosa. It must be still very small if you're keeping it in a 30 gallon tank. When it grows to its adult size it will suffer in a 30 gallon tank - it will be barely able to move there. It will be like living in a tiny closet.

4. OP
    OP
    S

SOS New Member Member

Yes i know they get that big.I,m going to get a larger tank for them in the near future; they are only 3 inches long at the moment.Thanks for your response.Could anyone tell me if adding salt to the tank is okay with these fish.T.I.A.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If the one spot has been there for a week I truly doubt that it's ich. Ich spreads over the body very quickly.
    I would guess that it's probably where he has scratched or nicked the fin in some way. Just watch it and if it gets worse then medicate otherwise just leave him alone.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    S

SOS New Member Member

Thanx Carol! Anyone have information on wether it's cool to add salt to the tank with these guys?????

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I would not add salt to their tank. Just one more chemical and not needed.
    Carol

8. s

sandmaster New Member Member

If it dint spread dint worry some of my fish have one or two specks. If it spreads tho its ick. Get some Ick treatment
    and turn you temp up to 82.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice