White 'Sore' on my BN Pleco Help

1. Dumulon Initiate Member

Although I am not completely new to the hobby (I've had a freshwater tank going for about 9 months now), I have been lucky whereas I have yet to have a sick fish... But now, this lovely situation is over :(
    I just bought a BN Pleco for my 45 gallon tank yesterday. When I got home, I put it in my quarantine tank and I noticed he had a 'white spot/sore' on the side of his mouth. This morning, it looked liked the 'sore' had opened... Any ideas? (Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, but we can still see the 'sore')

Attached Files:

2. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

yikes, he looks bad. I mean just bad. Not sure about the sore but deffinetley get some food in him and watch to make sure he colors back up, grey patches are never a good thing. Gives us a full list of your setup, stocking EVERYTHING

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

There is a possibility that the color changes you are seeing is completely normal. If the patches are not fuzzy or sticking up away from the fish, then I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

It could well be a camouflage technique that many Pleco's have. Mine have even displayed a cow print from time to time. They like to try and blend in with their surroundings.

Don't be so quick to jump the gun and start medicating your fish. It may not be necessary. :) Give it a little time and see if it changes.

As for the area around the mouth, now that looks like it may be an issue and not camouflage. Kind of hard to tell.

If I were going to try a treatment, a water change is always a good place to start when your fish aren't feeling up to par. You can also try some Pimafix and Melafix in combination. These are natural treatments and not medications.

If you have labyrinth fish in your tank, then use caution when adding Pimafix and Melafix.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/75644-update-regarding-labyrinth-fish-melafix.html

:animal0068:please take a few moments and complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile, click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE Changes at the bottom of the page when you are done.

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

Attached Files:

4. Dumulon Initiate Member

14 Gallon quarantine tank (Used to be my main tank until recently but I now call it my quarantine tank!), Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates =2 PH=7.2. I now also run a 45 gallons (cycled fishless), same results for chemicals analysis.

The bristlenose was bought to go in the 45 gallon eventually (once the tank has mature a little more and has enough algae to meet some of his needs). I am planning in leaving him in the 14 gal a little while, at least until he starts to recuperate. The 14 gal is a well established planted tank and contains sufficient nutrient for him, although I will supplement with algae wafers if required.

In addition to the BN, I have in the 14 gal two neons tetras, a handful of amano shrimp and two baby platies, all awaiting transfer to the bigger tank.

The 45 gal has 10 harlequin rasboras, 4 platies, 3 peppered cories and one pearl gourami.

I was trying a new LFS since my regular one didn't have any bristlenose in stock. I should have known better... I guess time and a little TLC will tell!