Question White smoke like swirls in my new fish tank?

Aquafineaquariums

Reaction score
I just recently got a 10 gallon tank on the 20th of december the next day I bought 3 guppys 1 molly 1 angelfish and 1 pleco and yesterday december 22/23 the tank water has this smoke like white stuff in it. I am afraid my fish might die! If you have any info on this HELP US PLEASE! from - Callie the Angelfish, Catniss the Pleco, Elsa the Molly, Nala the guppy, Maze the guppy, Tuxido the guppy, and Alexia the owner.

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here are a few things that I hope you find helpful
1. The tank is not cycled and the cloudiness may be from a bacterial bloom. Please read up on the nitrogen cycle.
2. The angelfish, pleco, and molly all require larger tanks and it would likely be best to return/rehome them.
3. Daily water changes of about 25% should be done to do a fish-in cycle. Make sure to temperature match the water being replaced and dechlorinate the water.

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When bacteria colonies suddenly increase in number. I'm pretty sure it's due to the introduction of so many fish at once and the tank not being cycled.

OP
Aquafineaquariums

Aquafineaquariums

Reaction score
So it's bad then right? Also callie is a Angelfish with dwarfism and she is 4 years old and the mollie I have I bought from a friend who breeds 3 males and 12 females in a 10 to 15 gallon I ended up getting Elsa who is a fully grown molly and is just fine in a 10 gallon. at least my tank isn't crowded.

HarrisonAquatics

Reaction score
While dwarfism does exist in some fish, it's extremely, extremely rare. It's much more likely that your angelfish is stunted from being kept in a small tank all of her life, or a tank with pretty terrible water quality.

The molly you bought came from terrible conditions as well - you shouldn't really keep one molly in a 10 gallon long-term. Keeping 15 in a 10 gallon is just cruel to the fish. I have three in a 10 gallon QT tank and I can't wait to move them, because they seem so cramped.

Agreed with the bacterial bloom, though. Your tank is overstocked - the molly, you could get away with for a while. Keeping the angelfish and the pleco in such a small tank is just going to cause them to suffer. If you were to return or rehome those fish and stock your tank with more appropriate fish, you'd have a much better time (and healthier fish).

We're not trying to be rude, by the way. Just trying to do what's best for the fish.

OP
Aquafineaquariums

Aquafineaquariums

Reaction score
Lol that's why I joined this sight. Also the 10 gallon is temperary I have a 55 gallon tank that I'm getting next week hopefully they make it till then...

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aquafineaquariums said:
Lol that's why I joined this sight. Also the 10 gallon is temperary I have a 55 gallon tank that I'm getting next week hopefully they make it till then...
Ok, that's good. Keep up with water changes and they should be fine. The bacterial bloom shouldn't harm the fish and will just go away eventually. Also, what kind of pleco do you have?

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you think your friend could give you some already cycled media? It’s the germs on your filter that do the cleaning as opposed to the filter itself.

flyin-lowe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You definitely need to read up on the cycle. If things are not done properly your fish will likely die in the 55 gallon tank as well if you don’t cycle it first. I am assuming you got a common pleco? If so they are not suited for a 55 gallon tank. It will more then likely get too large and you will have a hard time revoking it.

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquafineaquariums said:
It won't be cycled either so no it won't be ok, your smaller fish will die as the tanks are not cycled. You could try some bacteria from your friends media fast though and some prime to assist till then.

OP
Aquafineaquariums

Aquafineaquariums

Reaction score
RyanC14 said:
Ok, that's good. Keep up with water changes and they should be fine. The bacterial bloom shouldn't harm the fish and will just go away eventually. Also, what kind of pleco do you have?
WHITE SPOTTED DWARF HYPANCISTRUS PLECO I LOVE HER!!!!

H Farnsworth said:
Do you think your friend could give you some already cycled media? It’s the germs on your filter that do the cleaning as opposed to the filter itself.
I asked to barrow like 5 of Maria's bubbler filters for my 55 gallon when it gets here then I'll let it sit for 3 days. She'll be taking them out from her old tanks she don't use much anymore except for breedings every now and again.

OP
Aquafineaquariums

Aquafineaquariums

Reaction score
Ellielouisemills said:
The smoke could be because of your filter not working or the gravel dust
No it was a bacterial bloom I checked the water quality...

flyin-lowe said:
You definitely need to read up on the cycle. If things are not done properly your fish will likely die in the 55 gallon tank as well if you don’t cycle it first. I am assuming you got a common pleco? If so they are not suited for a 55 gallon tank. It will more then likely get too large and you will have a hard time revoking it.
Actually I have a White spotted dwarf hypancistrus pleco

OP
Aquafineaquariums

Aquafineaquariums

Reaction score
Lso everyone everything is good now none of my fish are dead the water quality is good now thanks for all your help and comments. Also my 55 gallon is finally here and I set it up today my fish will be going in it in a few days.

New Threads