White slimy stuff on my driftwood.

Fishgirl6

HI everybody. I have a piece of driftwood that is two weeks old and is now suddenly has white slimy stuff on some parts of it. In the slimy stuff, there are also some white dots in it. Is this normal? I currently have really high nitrites, therefore I have been doing frequent water changes. I have a dwarf clown pleco who sucks on the driftwood, could that be doing it??? Some help would be very appreciated.

JimC22

It's most likely is a fungus that is common with newly introduced wood in a tank and is harmless. You can take the wood out and boil it, but it most likely will come back. In time it will go away.

Your Pleco is a wood eater and may eat the the fungus. His eating the wood has nothing to do with the growth. Again - nothing to worry about.

Hope your doing well with the nitrites and water changing.

CoryBoi

Drift wood snot, completely harmless

TWiG87

I’m cycling a tank right now and have the same thing going on with some of my spider wood. Some has already gone away after almost a week

Frogtastic

Not a popular remedy for this, but I gave the driftwood a scrub down in hot water and ran it through a soap-less cycle in the dishwasher. Biofilm never came back.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
A201
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mike1995
  • ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~