White slimy stuff around my tank and filter (Algae?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gioel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all,

Just this morning I noticed a white slimy type stuff around my filter area inside the suction part and outside and around my suction for my thermostat. I don't know what it is and would love to get some input on what it could be. I recently have had my tank for almost a month and it does have 2 sunburst platies an Amano shrimp, a water fern and I just added an amazon 2 days ago.

I haven't done a water change yet. Is now a good time to get it done? I've tested the pH just now and the results were 7.6 or 7.5 Any help would be awesome.

Thank you all for your time.
Gio

Adam55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Gio,

Yeah, it's probably a good time to do a water change, as long as your ammonia and nitrite are holding steady at zero. I would think that you're definitely cycled after a month.

As far as the slime, it's normal. Just rinse components in tank water as needed, being sure to take caution with your bio media. That won't need cleaning already.

Gioel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey Gio,

Yeah, it's probably a good time to do a water change, as long as your ammonia and nitrite are holding steady at zero. I would think that you're definitely cycled after a month.

As far as the slime, it's normal. Just rinse components in tank water as needed, being sure to take caution with your bio media. That won't need cleaning already.

Thanks Adam55. I'm doing everything right now as we speak.
Any idea how far off I can be in temperature when adding new water after the water change? My tank water is at 79 degrees and my new water is 77-78 degrees is that a big difference or should I wait?

Adam55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think a degree or two is enough to do any damage, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 16 35.6%

Top Bottom