White slime?

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe having a holding tank with a cheap thermometer and heater in it to keep the water warm but yet allowing the water to age and thereby getting rid of the need to dechlorinate it would be helpful at all. I actually think I might just do that with my water changes. Good luck with the rest of you plans. Please post some pics when you get done so we can see 'em.

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The idea of storage of water to de-chlorinate it is sound, as is the idea of a heater in the tank. My plans should enable me to draw water to change tanks at any time, until the tank is empty, but if I put a ball valve on the tank to ensure it stays full enough to cover the heater there is a risk of two things happening:

Firstly, the chlorinated water that feeds into the tank during the water change below will be cold and so it would sink to the bottom of the tank where the outlet is, thus very quickly I would be adding untreated water to the tank below;

Secondly, the water temperature of the water being drawn would fall rapidly, so it would then be cold water going into the tank.

The only alternative is to turn the heater off during changes, so that the tank could empty as planned, and then have to remember to turn it on 24 hours before doing any changes.

The idea of an electric shower inline is to avoid this problem, as it would instantly heat the water as it is drawn. It would also remove the need to plan when the changes are made, which may be easy for you, but my job can be very unpredictable, and I have difficulty with planning my days. By being able to opt for treating the tank with dechlorinating chemicals gives me the flexibility to do changes at short notice as well.
Does this make sense?

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I suppose that if you can have your tank inside, you migt be able to control things better. Had I got the room, I would have fitted a low-level storage tank with a lift pump to make life easier. The water would also be at room temperature within 24hrs as well, so maybe you wouldn't even need a heater.

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, that does make complete sense. I was picturing something built in that would be inside above the tanks and hold water until you needed it thereby it would be dechlorinated and heated when you need it and then re-filling the holding tank after so more water would be ready when needed. For your set up the shower head thing probably makes more sense. I was also thinking out loud a little about how to make my own changes easier and if the replacement water was already ready to go, it would save some time. Either way, your set up is beautiful. You are lucky to be able to have a set up like that. Please post what you do when you finish your room. I know I am not the only one who wants to see it and hear about it.

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've put plans into my tanks section and will update that as I go. (The link in my sig) It's something of a marathon though!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom