White slime

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by superman, Mar 24, 2010.

1. supermanValued MemberMember

Hello, first off i noticed brown algae growing on the glass which isnt a big deal. I also see white slime around the filter where the water comes out of the filter into the tank. Any ideas?

2. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

hummm could be a white algae or a stringy bacterial bloom....it should go away on its own. If you filter is working well (established) there shouldn't be much of a bloom or algae at the output

....need to get your amonia and nitrites to 0 (zero) According to your tank info you ought to be doing doing small water changes regularly until your cycle is complete.

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

It's common for a white slime to develop in newly set up tanks. Especially on the substrate & around the filter. Just like the possible bacteria or algae that Ted mentioned, it should go away on it's own within a few weeks.

Good advice about the water changes to. I think maybe Ted meant DOING DAILY water changes rather than "doing doing". :)

4. OP
    OP
    s

supermanValued MemberMember

ok, my tank is almost cycled or cycled i have to do a water change tommorow or somthing. Im going to get a fish tommorow and stock slow ive had two zebra danios in there for a few weeks with no problems also a live plant and some plant seeds that are growing. Ill have to check my water and post results.

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Don't put in any new fish if there are any positive readings for ammonia or nitrites. If there is any reading at all for either of those things, then the tank is not cycled yet & is not ready to have new fish introduced. When the tank is cycled you will get readings something like: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10. Until you have readings like that, the tank is not ready for new fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice