White Slime In New Aquarium 50 Gallon Tank

1. G

GoodCactus New Member Member

Hi all,
    Need your help in resolving a white slime that has developed on my aquarium’s wood structure. Pictures are attached.
    I have set up a 45 gallon / 175 litre freshwater aquarium last week. It’s currently cycling with live plants, wood, soil substrate, and fluval 206 canister filter. Using overhead LED lights ~12 hours a day.
    The white slime was observed just today (5 days after setup).
    What is it and how should I resolve it?
    P.S. Had a bacterial bloom earlier which resolved itself on day 2 after filter was running.

2. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

That is a common fungas on new wood, it should work itself out over a few days.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, it’s caused from new wood. Often occurs on spiderwood, but it certainly can happen on any wood actually.

It’ll take a few days, up to a week or more to fully disappear. It may get slightly worse through that time. So long as it’s not grapewood, it’ll be fine.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree Its normal dont worry about it. It will provide a snack for fish and inverts after you add them

5. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Beautiful tank.

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

What are you using for your ammonia source?

7. OP
    OP
    G

Currently not using any ferts or root tabs. Not sure where to start tbh.

Thank you so very much!

I am afraid that it might be grape wood. I read about it after you mentioned it and mine Seems to have all the symptoms I have read about.

8. mattgirl

If you are trying to cycle this tank to get it ready for fish your next step is to put ammonia in there to get the cycle started. A tank will not cycle without an ammonia source. It is the food the bacteria needs to grow. To cycle a tank is simply growing bacteria. That bacteria is the cycle.

Some folks (me included) just add fish and do what is called a fish in cycle. These fish supply the ammonia with their poop. Others do what is called a fish-less cycle. With this one has to add an ammonia source. You can buy liquid ammonia (recommended) or can add fish food and allow it to rot and it will form the ammonia.

Once your tank is cycled a lot of the fungi looking stuff you are seeing in your tank should stop growing.

9. OP
    OP
    G

Thank you, that's very helpful.

My plants are looking a bit grim atm (pics attached). Maybe that's an indication that something is missing.
    I have created a separate post about this too.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    G

I can happily report that the white slime went away this weekend. It sort of just disappeared on its own.

11. mattgirl

Fantastic !!!! There is a lot of stuff going on in a tank as it is cycling. The white slime is just one of the many things Now that it has come and gone maybe the next thing that pops up won't trouble you as much as this one did. :)