White skirt Tetra with Neons

Mosko

A while back I had 5 White Skirt Tetras in my tank. Then a few months later I added around 10 Neon Tetras. Right away, the 2 bigger white skirts started chasing around the Neons and killed a couple of them. I took out the White Skirts and gave them away. I always wanted a white colored fish in my tank because that's like the only color im missing.
I'm thinking of getting white skirts again. But I will obviously only get smaller ones, or ones with long flowing fins. I'm wondering if the long finned ones are less aggressive because the fins slow them down. I believe I read that somewhere.
I'm wondering if that's true that the long fined ones are less aggressive?

Chris1212

Well Known
Hmmm, I can't help but will definitely be watching this thread. Just got 6 longfin glo tetras and 1 white longfin tetra and they are in my qt right now. Wondering if they will go after the smaller platies currently in my main tank.

OP
M

Mosko

Hmmm, I can't help but will definitely be watching this thread. Just got 6 longfin glo tetras and 1 white longfin tetra and they are in my qt right now. Wondering if they will go after the smaller platies currently in my main tank.

From my experience they will only go after the really small ones like fry.

Chris1212

Well Known
The bully platy in my tank could definitely be put in his place a bit

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
The only thing I can say for sure is I have long finned black skirts. They live peacefully with my neon tetras. I've never witnessed any kind of chasing going on even when new smaller neons have been added. Sadly my black skirts are getting pretty old (upwards of 5 years old now) so I am afraid I will start losing them one day. I really like them and hope to add more as these die off. Hopefully new ones will be just as docile as these are.

OP
M

Mosko

The only thing I can say for sure is I have long finned black skirts. They live peacefully with my neon tetras. I've never witnessed any kind of chasing going on even when new smaller neons have been added. Sadly my black skirts are getting pretty old (upwards of 5 years old now) so I am afraid I will start losing them one day. I really like them and hope to add more as these die off. Hopefully new ones will be just as docile as these are.
Thanks. I will definitely consider long finned ones.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
A while back I had 5 White Skirt Tetras in my tank. Then a few months later I added around 10 Neon Tetras. Right away, the 2 bigger white skirts started chasing around the Neons and killed a couple of them. I took out the White Skirts and gave them away. I always wanted a white colored fish in my tank because that's like the only color im missing.
I'm thinking of getting white skirts again. But I will obviously only get smaller ones, or ones with long flowing fins. I'm wondering if the long finned ones are less aggressive because the fins slow them down. I believe I read that somewhere.
I'm wondering if that's true that the long fined ones are less aggressive?
How big is the tank ?

NoahLikesFish

Well Known
1. Don’t get longfin varieties of a fin nipping fish and 2. Don’t mix schools unless it’s clear one is a middle schooler and one is a top or bottom schooler

NoahLikesFish

Well Known
Take out the neons and get 10 more white skirts

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
Replies
Views
KJR
Replies
Views
Dch48
  • BaseballMom
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
david1978

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

For those of us with MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) we need to be careful and not cross-contaminate our other tanks. Tanks and Plants wrote an article on:
Simple way to prevent cross contamination in your tanks

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom