Help White Skirt Tetra Looking Thin

Daisy7216

Reaction score
So I have 2 white skirt tetras, and I have attached photos of both of them as well as a side by side. The larger one is doing fine, and has been since I got him/her. My tank has one RTS, 2 balloon mollie adults, and 2 baby balloons (under 12 weeks old), a platy, and 2 white skirts in a 30 gal. Anyways, the tank has been set up for about 3 months now, and the water parameters are fine, other than the water being a bit more hard than wanted. About 2 weeks after I put in the tetras, one of them started to get thin FAST. He was breathing weird and wouldnt eat. After doing some research I bought a parasite treatment, since at the time I did not have a QT tank to put him in I dosed the whole tank as directed. He did recover after the second round of treatment! Which means I did something right, right? But sadly, this little guy will just not grow back up to his full size. When he eats I watch him eat part of a flake and spit out a bunch of what he ate, as if the flakes were to big for him to swallow which they definitly arent. Hes lived like this for 2 months now, and poops just fine so I know hes eating and hes not going to die. I know he no longer has whatever parasite he did before, but my other tetra has grown to 2 times his size! Both in width and in height, even tho when I got them they were the same size. I just wanna get this little guy back up to a healthy weight, any suggestions? I couldn't find anything online about how to help a fish get back to full health after a parasite, so I really hope you guys have some tips. This is my first time posting to the forum so sorry if I put this in the wrong section
20190410_124132.jpg
20190410_124127.jpg
1554922197627.jpg

OP
D

Daisy7216

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Looks like male and female to me.
Woah thank you for bringing that to my attention. I didnt know they could have such large differences in size, do you think the parasite may have had something to do with him being so tiny tho? He thinned out a lot while he was sick, he was definitely larger than he is now when I bought him.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Daisy7216 said:
Woah thank you for bringing that to my attention. I didnt know they could have such large differences in size, do you think the parasite may have had something to do with him being so tiny tho? He thinned out a lot while he was sick, he was definitely larger than he is now when I bought him.
His belly and total appearance doesn't show signs of internal parasites to me.
He looks a bit smaller than normal, but doesn't look sick to me.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom