White Sand Still Looks Dirty

  • Thread starter

malowmar

Valued Member
Messages
123
Reaction score
30
Points
43
Experience
Just started
At first, the sand in my aquarium looked spotless, but it is almost impossible to maintain it that way. No matter what I do, there seems to always be a thin layer of particles that sit on top of the sand, even when I use a gravel vacuum or a turkey baster. If anything, it only helps a little, and my sand just gets dirty within a week again.

Does anyone have luck keeping white sand looking brand new? I don't know if keeping it super clean is realistic or not but any advice would help.

I've attached some pictures.
sand.jpg sand2.jpg
 

Quimpz

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Experience
Just started
I think those are detritus from the fish. I would suggest add more flow to get the detritus to move around the tank.
 

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Messages
11,467
Reaction score
1,575
Points
408
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately, I have not had any luck with white sand. Eventually it will get Diatoms ( Brown ) and although those are easier to get clean, my sand never got back to the pure white that it was for the first 6 months I had the tank.
Just keep doing what you are doing and keep stirring it up with the baster as to not let anything settle.
 

VioletSS

Valued Member
Messages
330
Reaction score
253
Points
53
Experience
Just started
I bought off white sand - I don't think I could ever have pristine white and keep it that way. At first the diatoms were very noticeable, but now they've faded and the sand just looks "natural". There are always little bits of fish poo and plant matter scattered around, even after a pwc and vacuum.
 
  • Thread starter

malowmar

Valued Member
Messages
123
Reaction score
30
Points
43
Experience
Just started
Quimpz said:
I think those are detritus from the fish. I would suggest add more flow to get the detritus to move around the tank.
I have a betta so I'm blocking most of the flow.
 
  • Thread starter

malowmar

Valued Member
Messages
123
Reaction score
30
Points
43
Experience
Just started
Junne said:
Unfortunately, I have not had any luck with white sand. Eventually it will get Diatoms ( Brown ) and although those are easier to get clean, my sand never got back to the pure white that it was for the first 6 months I had the tank.
Just keep doing what you are doing and keep stirring it up with the baster as to not let anything settle.
I'm thinking about rinsing a fraction of it weekly with each water change, like just the top layer. I don't know if it will help though.
 
  • Thread starter

malowmar

Valued Member
Messages
123
Reaction score
30
Points
43
Experience
Just started
VioletSS said:
I bought off white sand - I don't think I could ever have pristine white and keep it that way. At first the diatoms were very noticeable, but now they've faded and the sand just looks "natural". There are always little bits of fish poo and plant matter scattered around, even after a pwc and vacuum.
I actually did notice some algae barely showing up on the sand too but that is relatively easier to clean than all the waste.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom