white sand... make it black?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by steed1172, Mar 25, 2010.

1. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

well now i picked up some white sand from the local home depot , and i had sand before and i liked how it looks, but it bleaches my fishes... and this new stuff REALLY bleaches them.. is there any kind of "dye" or paint that i could use thats safe... or that would even work??

or if any one knows a cheap supply of black/dark sand...

thanks!... i know im gunna get alot of "what the.."s or nopes... but one always likes to ask to double check :D

2. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    steed1172

yeah..... and theres black "sand" for saltwater stuff too :(.... i think it said argonite >.<

Tahitian sand is too costly for me.... but i might manage its only a 15G im covering lawl...

4. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

there is also flourite black sand which I just put in my 30g. Not cheap its $29.99 at LFS for a bag and took 3 bags to give a thick layer in my 36 x 12 footprint. It already has some nutrients in it for planted tanks.

5. OP
    OP
    steed1172

hmmm... im not seen black flourite before... but its not a planted aquarium..(no "real" lights atm lol) il check up on that thou...

6. OP
    OP
    steed1172

hey ive heard that methylene blue (or was it malachite green....) can stain decorations/sealant and such... could i stain sand with either?(blue.. green both are darker :D )...I know that that would kill any cycle ... but if i did it in a seperate pail, and left it in the solution, then let it dry... then rinsed off residue... would it retain its color? would it leach its "medicines" into the tank?

7. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

For all the trouble and the cost of doing that, I would just buy the black sand.....

Brian

8. OP
    OP
    steed1172

oh i always thought it was cheap... maybe im thinking of dif chems lol, it just popped in my head and i was like !!! o o o ho oh oh oh!! and thats about it. hehe

9. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I have flourite and report a very good experience with it. I highly recommend it for your planted 55 gallon.

Moments later...

Hmm, a new flourite I haven't noticed before! Seachem flourite black sand! Here's the link:   I believe it has the same properties as normal flourite, but its black, and its sand. Is this what you're looking for?

Oh, and btw, there's always Seachem Flourite Dark if you think black's a bit too "artificial" looking. Its a very dark brown.

10. OP
    OP
    steed1172

UGH every time i update my info i get it wrong >.<!!!! theres really only several plants

but i was planning on *sometime* making major improvements......new lighting, smaller/rounder gravel-substrate, to be more plant and cory and kuhli and such friendly...

but the target tank is the 15G it has very light sand in it atm... but i don't know much about flourite i may be getting them mixed up with stuff... but isn't fluorite "clay"?

(sorry for not being clear in probably any of the posts my head has been very foggy)

11. Elodea

It's clay-based, so its kinda like terracotta gravel. Or like shattering a terracotta pot and then putting the pieces in your tank. I have regular river rock mixed with flourite and its perfectly fine.

12. OP
    OP
    steed1172

soo.... its mashed up clay pots?... i have tons of them..(unmashed)....i could add a "nutrient" layer in my main tank with what i got. jeeze and they sell that stuff for moocho moola

13. Elodea

Actually, I have a feeling that its a bit more than mashed clay pots. But it does give a good deal of nutrients to the plants without using ferts.

14. OP
    OP
    steed1172

it's never that simple ... lol, well as far as i know i don't have any nutrient greedy plants, but it always helps.

P.S what is your AVI, all i can make out are green and white almost boexes... and some brown too.

EDIT: oh ive seen fertalizer "tubes".... could grinding a pot into a dust(or fairly fine) then putting it into a tube.. but with smaller pores so slow diffusion can take place be beneficial to plants?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  15. Elodea

Oh, actually, its a portion of the plants in my tank (anacharis and 1 Java fern) that I went on MS paint and scrambled up. ;D

Looks intriguing, doesn't it?

16. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

This could be ambitious, but! Could you buy black gravel and smash it up somehow? :D

17. Elodea

But then you'll get a whole lotta dust that'll turn into mud once you add water...kinda like a "make your own cement kit".

18. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Eco complete is good for plants and you can get it in black too. One bag would do a small tank like that and have some left over.

Carol

19. OP
    OP
    steed1172

lol it does...

oh and that link, i went and looked at the "super naturals" and it has burrower friendly and soft belly friendly (which i would think to be almost the same...).. well their "kon tiki" says its friendly for borrowers.. but it says its avg SMALL size is 6mm and large is 12.... and the picture it gives some look sharp, and it says not soft bellied friendly (which is obvious) but why is it burrower friendly?? ( )

20. Elodea

I'm guessing that the grains are a bit to large for burrowers to burrow in, like it is easier to burrow through sand than a rock field, no matter how smooth the rocks are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice