White Sand In 75 Gallon Goldfish Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Kattymatt, Jul 16, 2017.

1. KattymattNew MemberMember

What are your thoughts on using white sand in a goldfish aquarium?

2. Floundering_Around

Floundering_AroundWell Known MemberMember

Goldfish like to sift through the substrate so sand will be fine. It will collect all the poop on top though, and might like unsightly

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Make sure it's quite fine just in case they do ingest it; then they can pass it safely. Also, use as little as possible, just enogugh to cover the bottom.

4. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBettaValued MemberMember

White sand would look great on the bottom of a goldfish tank. Like the other members suggested, just make sure it's only a thin layer.

5. OP
    OP
    K

KattymattNew MemberMember

Would 50 lbs be a thin layer or would I need 75 lbs? Why does ot need to be a thin layer?
    I was also a bit concerned about the poo, but my husband really likes the idea of white so I giess i will just have to step up my game on cleaning :) or convince him to get black sand.

6. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

My 60 has 50lbs of pool filter sand in it. The biggest thing I noticed right away is you see *everything* after a couple months what poo you miss vacuuming gets mixed in and long story short, the sand looks a little more natural instead of one shade. I have loaches though so they need deeper because they dig. The thing you have to worry about with sand is compacting and then you get gas bubbles in the sand that could poison the fish. If you have snails or something they will help stir the sand up. Every time I vacume I run my fingers through it to mess it up and break everything up.

IMG_4380.PNG

7. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

I'm not so sure about lbs, but on the bags it should have liters. Soo...do LxWx height of substrate (an inch or so would be fine) and then divide by 60 to get how many liters you would need

As for the thin layer, you could always run the risk of having anaerobic pockets and getting food and poop lost in the substrate it your Goldie's shuffle everything around all the time in a deeper sandbed

Edit: beat by @2211Nighthawk :p

8. 2211Nighthawk

My tank is 44"x18" and about an inch and a half deep with a 50 lbs bag. What are your dimentions? I don't remember offthe top of my head the foot print they have.

9. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't do white with goldfish. White sand shows every single little speck of dirt/waste. Goldfish are big waste producers and your sand will look very dirty all the time. If it was me, I would do a natural brownish sand if you do sand at all. Just from the visual standpoint more than anything else.

10. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I'd have to agree with Alliesten, you'll soon get fed up of seeing every speck of dirt. Another downside to white sand in my experience is that it will eventually go green/brown with algae no matter what you try to do to stop it. I'd suggest going with a more natural coloured sand

11. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't do white sand either , I have natural/brown looking sand and you can still see alot of the dirt/poop I can only imagine white..

12. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBettaValued MemberMember

I have black sand in my betta tank and it makes it very easy to see fish waste and dead plant matter. I actually prefer this so that I am able to take out waste when I see it. I guess it is personal preference though. :)

13. 2211Nighthawk

I think with any kind of sand your gonna see stuff because it dosen't settle between the grains like gravel. I like sand because I have loaches and makes it easy to vacume *because* everything sits on top.

14. Floundering_Around

Floundering_AroundWell Known MemberMember

d339da364c906153af93e8c86b755c45.jpg
    This is my scarlet badis tank. They are smaller so they're poop is smaller than a goldfish but unless there is a bunch in one spot, I hardly see it.
    When I had black gravel in this tank (a mistake I will not be repeating), i could see poop more.

15. BuddyD

BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

black is what i use as well.

16. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

I have a few tanks with black sand imo it hides alot.

17. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

White sand would look elegant but it requires lots of good maintenance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice