White sand getting Dark in fully cycled tank

delphi

I have a 55 gallon fully cycled fish only aquarium with 4 cichlid fishes, I have been running this tank for 6 months but for some time I am noticing that my white sand substrate is getting a bit dark. I does not look sparkling white that it used to look when I first set up the tank. I do regular maintenance of my aquarium and also siphon out all the waste particles but still no improvement. What can I do to keep my sand white?
I have attached the picture of my sand.

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 12

PlantedCommunityTank132

Either fish waste, or algae. If it's algae, you can simply woos around the substrate, turning the sand particles. Do you vacuum the sand?

JustAFishServant

Either fish waste, or algae. If it's algae, you can simply woos around the substrate, turning the sand particles. Do you vacuum the sand?
I agree with PlantedCommunityTank132 . It's most likely algae (or IMO, aufwuchs - a mixture of algae and small microorganisms). I've never experienced aufwuchs until recently and haven't gotten rid of it without a nerite snail, but I'm sure other snails and shrimp would do just fine as well :)

Lily1

I use the off-white playground sand from Lowe’s in my cichlid tanks. haven’t seen what you have there, the algae appears on the glass & hides. But if it is indeed algae, I’d vacuum it up and add freshly washed new sand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cluckyholiday
Replies
Views
nickbiaz
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views