Question white powdery substance

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey everybody!! i have a quick question about this stuff in my cichlid tank. i have a white powdery substance coming out of the filter. the water tests fine. this is a 55gal tank that has been set up for 9 months or so. i have been doing water changes twice a week at 25% to 50% trying to get this stuff out. im starting to worry about the cycle crashing if i keep this up. the water is very clear except these tiny dusty particles. it seems like it started about the time i added my canister filter. im running a fluval fx5 with zeocarb in the ffirst basket, peat in the second basket and biomax in the bottom basket. i was using well water (unfiltered and unsoftened). the ph has been very high ang gh was off the charts. yesterday i did a 75% water change and used filtered water from the store. (the kind that comes in the 5gal jugs). after the change, the ph was about 8.1 and the water was crystal clear. i let it run overnight and the powder came back. the fish seem to be fine but the wite stuff is kinda bugging me. any help would be greatly appreciated, im kinda new at this. THANK YOU IMG_0633.jpg

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi! I remember having some powdery white stuff soon after I got my canister filter, and I believe it was residue from the tubing that leads in and out of canister filter. It eventually went away on its own, and I did not observe any ill effects from it for neither my fish nor my plants. It was mainly just an aesthetic problem. Changing the water frequently will not cause your cycle to crash, so don't worry about that. However, if your white stuff is the same issue as what I had, I observed that it was worst whenever I restarted the canister filter after a water change. So if you are doing frequent water changes than you may observe the white stuff more frequently. However, if this is residue from new canister tubing then perhaps frequent water changes are a good idea because you may flush your tubing out faster, and thus get rid of this issue sooner. I do not remember any more when this issue went away in my tank.

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thank you joanna. all seems to be fine other than the (snowy stuff) so i'll just let it settle and see what happens. thanks for your input, i feel better about it now.

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well the white stuff went away for several hours yesterday and then it was back again this morning. it was completely gone for a while. the filter was still pumping and everything. it kinda makes me wonder if it isnt air getting into the system. if it is cavitating in the pump and maybe the white stuff i am seeing is actually tiny bubbles. hmm

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom