White powder on snail s

Cbjohn25

Reaction score
I am currently trying to cycle a 29 gallon tank. I bought an active filter from anglesplus and have finally been reading nitrate. I have been dosing with prime and doing daily 20% water changes to keep ammonia down. I have 5 zebras, 1 mystery snail, and 1 nerite snail. I have been using RO water and found out I needed to add minerals back into it so I bought Seachem Equilibrium and neutral regulator. I noticed today my zerite snail has white coating on it. I have no idea what it is. Any ideas?
Ph - 6.6
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate- 2.5 ppm

Attachments

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Just today? Well your Ammonia is too high, that could be the root of the problem. And acidic PH can eat away at their shells. I would suggest PWCs until the Ammonia levels go down.

OP
C

Cbjohn25

Reaction score
Ok thank you, those were the readings right before I did a 33% water change with the RO water with added equilibrium and neutral reg. What is PWCs? I am not familiar with the acronyms. I got the angelfish filter 2 days ago. I have been trying to cycle for three weeks now with no success so I bought the active filter.

OP
C

Cbjohn25

Reaction score
Oh okay, yes I have definitely been doing that everyday, the only excepting being I didn’t yesterday or the day before because I added that active filter so I wanted to see if it would bring it down on its own. But I did do a water change today about 3 hours ago. Do you think the snails need more calcium?

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
First of all, by active filter do you mean a Biological Filter, or Beneficial Bacteria? Yes, your snail definitely needs more calcium. I use Cuttlebone for birds and break a piece off, and put it in and let it dissolve (takes a while). And you should raise your PH to make it hard water if the other inhabitants of the tank can comply. What is your temperature and tank size? I know that you may not be able to shop right now and there are other ways to give your snail calcium.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Ditch the neutral regulator if you are using RO, it won't do anything. You need to add KH with Equilibrium, which will bring up your PH a bit. Get some Seachem Alkaline Buffer to add along with your Equilibrium. Or use a GH/KH + combination product like Salty Shrimp.

OP
C

Cbjohn25

Reaction score
I bought an active sponge filter from angelsplus (meaning it has live beneficial
Bacteria in it) I have a 29 gallon, 78 degF. I read I can buy crushed coral to raise PH, do you think that’s a good idea? I will also try to find cuttlebone too.

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Cbjohn25 said:
But I did do a water change today about 3 hours ago.
Even if you did a 50% water change, the ammonia would be at 0.25ppm, more water changes would be needed. Snails are very sensitive to even the tiniest bit of toxins.
Cbjohn25 said:
I bought an active sponge filter from angelsplus (meaning it has live beneficial
Bacteria in it) I have a 29 gallon, 78 degF. I read I can buy crushed coral to raise PH, do you think that’s a good idea? I will also try to find cuttlebone too.
I would go with Cuttlebone. It's the only thing I've ever used and haven't used crushed coral. So maybe someone more experienced could give you their opinion. Essentially if it will make the PH hard, your snail's shell would not deteriorate from PH. Good Luck.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Cbjohn25 said:
Coral, cuttlebone, eggshells, they all do the same thing. Raise PH, KH and GH. It is a good suggestion and arguably easier to dose than using alkaline buffer when you add equilibrium to your tank water.

OP
C

Cbjohn25

Reaction score
Okay awesome, thank you for the help. Hopefully I can find some at the pet store with all this craziness going on!

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Cbjohn25 said:
Okay awesome, thank you for the help. Hopefully I can find some at the pet store with all this craziness going on!
In a pinch you can use baking soda as alkaline buffer. Just remember a LITTLE goes a LONG way...and you mat very well have eggshells in your fridge if you can't get coral.

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Inner10 said:
In a pinch you can use baking soda as alkaline buffer. Just remember a LITTLE goes a LONG way...and you mat very well have eggshells in your fridge if you can't get coral.
:eek: Woah, Baking Soda? That's really cool, I tried to use eggshells but it was a little messy (and my over-inquisitive Betta was obviously trying to eat them).

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
NBettas83 said:
:eek: Woah, Baking Soda? That's really cool, I tried to use eggshells but it was a little messy (and my over-inquisitive Betta was obviously trying to eat them).
Yeah, Seachem alkaline buffer is mainly baking soda will some lesser amounts of other bicarbonates if I understand correctly....so there probably isn't any reason to use it over baking soda.

If you have RO water and you use a KH titration test it should change colour after 1-2 drops. As you add it to your water your KH will increase linearly, and your GH will remain constant and your PH will increase logarithmically. Nerites like a really high KH, which you don't get without a pretty high PH...but you have to be mindful of your other tank mates and produce water that they will all enjoy.

If you are re-mineralizing water buy a TDS meter. Take your RO water, and a drill mounted mixer, check your starting TDS. Add alkaline buffer until your reach desired KH/PH then check your TDS again. Take note of both of these measurements for next time you make a batch of water. Then start adding equilibrium until you reach your desired GH, check with your TDS pen and make note.

OP
C

Cbjohn25

Reaction score
I ended up buying the Seachem alkaline buffer to raise my KH above 5dKH. The white powder on my snail has completely gone away and he seems much happier. My ammonia went to zero and I started reading more nitrates. I think I was crashing my PH and ruining the cycle by not adding a buffer in with my RO water. Thanks for the help!

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Cbjohn25 said:
I ended up buying the Seachem alkaline buffer to raise my KH above 5dKH. The white powder on my snail has completely gone away and he seems much happier. My ammonia went to zero and I started reading more nitrates. I think I was crashing my PH and ruining the cycle by not adding a buffer in with my RO water. Thanks for the help!
Great for you!

New Threads