White Poop From My Platy

FishMich

HI Again,

I have a Red Wag Platy that has had thin white poop ever since I got her on Sept 12th. Today the white poop is like a thicker tube, I'll attach a photo. I haven't seen any other of my fish poop, just the platy. I have never owned fish before, so I thought this was normal, but after looking in this forum, it sounds like it's not. What should I do? How do I treat her? What does she have?

I have a 12 gallon tank that is cycling (didn't know about fish less cycle before). We got a Red Wag Platy, a Black Phantom Tetra, and four Neon Tetras on Sept 12th.

My latest water parameters are:

Sept 25th
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.6
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 5

After posting on here, I got advice and did as close to a 50% water change as I could, it ended up being about 42% on Sept 25th. I also switched to feeding every other day instead of every day.

Sept 26th
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.3
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I haven't done a water test yet today. I fed the fish this morning a touch of freeze dried bloodworms (presoaked in tank water) and tried New Life Spectrum Optimum All Purpose Flakes. They are all the food within a couple minutes.

What should I do about her white poop? Will it go away once the tank cycles? Or do I need to treat her now?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_6482.JPG
    IMG_6482.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,107

Fashooga

Your platy has an internal parasite.

You can cure this by getting medication. I use API General Cure. It's a box that covers up to 100 gallons. So in your case you would use two of the 10 packets for your tank, wait 48 hours and than add another two packets of the medication and wait another 48 hours...than you would do a 25% water change...that is considered one treatment.

You should also look at the platy to see if whatever it eats does it spit it out? If it does this or white poop is still there, repeat the treatment again. You might have to do 2-3 treatments to make this work.

FishMich

Your platy has an internal parasite.

You can cure this by getting medication. I use API General Cure. It's a box that covers up to 100 gallons. So in your case you would use two of the 10 packets for your tank, wait 48 hours and than add another two packets of the medication and wait another 48 hours...than you would do a 25% water change...that is considered one treatment.

You should also look at the platy to see if whatever it eats does it spit it out? If it does this or white poop is still there, repeat the treatment again. You might have to do 2-3 treatments to make this work.
Thank you!!! Should I expect the medication to mess with the cycle of the tank as well? Or will that continue to cycle unperturbed by the medication?

Thank you!!! Should I expect the medication to mess with the cycle of the tank as well? Or will that continue to cycle unperturbed by the medication?
Also, I can't seem to find API General Cure in Canada. Is there another medication you can recommend available in Canada? Do I need a separate tank for this?

Fashooga

You want to find something that has Metronidazole and/or praziquantel. I'm not well versed with drugs but Discusluv or AllieSten might be able to help you with this.

As for the cycle of the tank, that's tricky, I was wondering about this since your not fully cycled and you can't do daily water changes since your doing an in fish cycle. You may need to change the way your do the drugs like actually adding it into the food, but again the members mentioned above might be able to shed some light on this.

As for you putting in separate tank, your not cycled with the current tank so your unlikely cycled if you set up a QT tank. Since you have a 12 gallon I would treat the current tank.

FishMich

You want to find something that has Metronidazole and/or praziquantel. I'm not well versed with drugs but Discusluv or AllieSten might be able to help you with this.

As for the cycle of the tank, that's tricky, I was wondering about this since your not fully cycled and you can't do daily water changes since your doing an in fish cycle. You may need to change the way your do the drugs like actually adding it into the food, but again the members mentioned above might be able to shed some light on this.

As for you putting in separate tank, your not cycled with the current tank so your unlikely cycled if you set up a QT tank. Since you have a 12 gallon I would treat the current tank.
Fashooga, thanks so much for all those details! I just checked on her again and she was mid poop and it was orangey brown! Does this mean she's on the mend?

Fashooga

Brown orange poop is good color, it's the color of whatever your feeding it. I would keep a close eye on it and see what happens.

FishMich

Brown orange poop is good color, it's the color of whatever your feeding it. I would keep a close eye on it and see what happens.
Sweet!!! Thank you so much for all your help!

Discusluv

A thicker white feces often indicates flagellates, namely Hexamita. When it gets more severe the fish will stop eating, hide in the back, often away from the other fish. With this, you want a drug that's active ingredient is metronidazole. Isolate fish to quarantine and treat.
The thinner, string like or segmented feces is tapeworm. With this you need a drug with praziquantel. Often, the fish will still eat but get thin. Treat whole tank as it is easily spread to all fish.

FishMich

A thicker white feces often indicates flagellates, namely Hexamita. When it gets more severe the fish will stop eating, hide in the back, often away from the other fish. With this, you want a drug that's active ingredient is metronidazole. Isolate fish to quarantine and treat.
The thinner, string like or segmented feces is tapeworm. With this you need a drug with praziquantel. Often, the fish will still eat but get thin. Treat whole tank as it is easily spread to all fish.
Thank you so much, Discusluv! It was a thinner white string of feces before, this morning it turned into a thicker white tube. This afternoon she had orangey brown looking feces. Does this mean she has passed the worm or parasite? How do I isolate the fish for treatment? I don't have a quarantine tank and my tank is still cycling. Thanks so much for your help!

Discusluv

If you aren't noticing any other symptoms to indicate the fish is ill ( those listed in last post) than it is most likely tapeworms. Normally, with Hex, there is no color to the feces...while,with tapeworm, you can on early onset have segmented areas of colored/white stool.
Treat whole tank with Praziquantel. Change 50% of water daily before each dose as the medicine breaks down quickly in high organics. Treat 3-5 days. Usually 3 days is enough to get the fish to purge the worms-- make sure to gravel them up daily while treating from the substrate.

FishMich

If you aren't noticing any other symptoms to indicate the fish is ill ( those listed in last post) than it is most likely tapeworms. Normally, with Hex, there is no color to the feces...while,with tapeworm, you can on early onset have segmented areas of colored/white stool.
Treat whole tank with Praziquantel. Change 50% of water daily before each dose as the medicine breaks down quickly in high organics. Treat 3-5 days. Usually 3 days is enough to get the fish to purge the worms-- make sure to gravel them up daily while treating from the substrate.
Thank you! I will look for some Praziquantel. My platy has no other symptoms. She is the most playful fish I have, she is also the chubbiest. She does eat the most out of all my fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ElizabethC
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Elsurati
Replies
Views