White poop breeding plecos

eligri

Hi!

I've got 2 male albino pleco's, one male common pleco, and a female common pleco.
Got another batch with 50% albino babies. However, one of the males is pooping white. Looks like regular poop, but white. Not sure if its only him. Been seeing the occasional white poop last year or so, but going away on a 3 week trip now so a bit extra worried. He behaves normally. Eats, spends time in his cave, digs, etc.
Would prefer not to medicate when gone for so long. I have however arranged for 1 WC in the middle of the trip.

Water parameters should be pristine. Done 3 waterchanges (30%) the last 4 days.

They are fed a large variety of food. 4 different high quality algae wafers, loach wafers and sinking oscar pellets. Also algae granules and such.

Could it just be some missed meals? No new additions to the tank in the last 2 years or so (not even plants). Doubt its parasites due to that. Good filtration, all fish act healthy and I've had no deaths. Well established tank (been running for about 5 years).

Thanks

LizStreithorst

I breed BN and have never had that problem with them, but I also have Discus and know all about a rule of thumb diagnosis which might apply to Plecos.

Segmented white poop is indicative of tape worm.
If the poop is white and stringy it's hex
If it's white but like normal poop it's worms.

The treatment for Discus is either Levamisole or Wormer Plus which is not the same but similar to Panacur.

You'll have to research if either is safe for scaleless fish.

eligri

I breed BN and have never had that problem with them, but I also have Discus and know all about a rule of thumb diagnosis which might apply to Plecos.

Segmented white poop is indicative of tape worm.
If the poop is white and stringy it's hex
If it's white but like normal poop it's worms.

The treatment for Discus is either Levamisole or Wormer Plus which is not the same but similar to Panacur.

You'll have to research if either is safe for scaleless fish.
Don't really want to medicate while away unless very necessary. Read a lot online that white poop can just be that they missed a meal?

LizStreithorst

Yes, it can be intestinal lining but if it's persistent it's a problem.

eligri

Yes, it can be intestinal lining but if it's persistent it's a problem.
Not sure if its the same fish each time. There are a lot of fish in that tank, so decent chance they don't all get food. Also only feed properly every other day.

In the tank I have:
2 common bristlenose plecos
2 albino bristlenose plecos
2 L333 pleco
4 yoyo loaches
1 sailfin pleco
1 oscar
Tons of baby pleco (unknown amount).

So lots of competition for food :S
125 gallon tank.
No new additions in ~2 years though. So can it really even be worms/parasites? Don't even have new decorations.

LizStreithorst

If you're unsure just watch the fish and make sure they're eating and gaining weight and growing. Remember what I said. I'm an expert with Discus, I'd have to dig down into google if I had a problem with my BN 'cause I know no Pleco experts.

eligri

If you're unsure just watch the fish and make sure they're eating and gaining weight and growing. Remember what I said. I'm an expert with Discus, I'd have to dig down into google if I had a problem with my BN 'cause I know no Pleco experts.
I'll keep feeding them well, and do another WC before leaving Healthy tank, so they should be able to get well without treatment, even if its not just them having an upset tummy.

Looked into meds for parasites and worms. Most seem to require cleaning filters and lots of waterchanges. Not really something I can have my mom who knows nothing about aquariums do. Would likely result in more harm than good, especially since I'm far from positive its not something that will just resolve itself.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Arkinsor
Replies
Views
Lucyn
Replies
Views
ASquidabs0727
Replies
Views