White pimple on goldfish???

EntirelyEm

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallons
How long has the tank been running? about 7 or 8 months now?
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 goldfish 3 golden white cloud minnows

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? tetra easy strips 6 in 1 and ammonia test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 20 ppm
Nitrate: .5 ppm
pH: about 8? its darker that 7.8 but lighter than 8.4 on the key

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? what they can eat in like 2 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra goldfish flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? I fed them frozen brine shrimp for the 1st time on saturday

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 14 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? about an hour ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? 1 of the goldfish has a little white pimple looking thing on its body
Have you started any treatment for the illness? not yet, im about to do a water change
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? not really

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I went to look at my fishies (as one does) when i noticed that cavatappi has a white growth on his body. I didn't notice it this morning when i fed the fish but I might have missed it. Also now that im looking at my fish i noticed that the minnows are also looking weird. one of them looks... gravid? Thats weird,, one of them has like tiny black spots on him, and the other one looks fine. ziti and rigatoni (the other goldfish) dont seem to have anything physically wrong with them. None of them are acting weird, they're all still swimming around and sifting through the substrate like they normally do. I cant get a good picture of cavatappi so if anyone could give me some tips on that I'd appreciate it. I have primafix, melafix, and general cure tabs on hand. I was going to try to treat cavatppi on my own but i don't accidentally want to do more harm than good. Please help me figure out whats going on with my pastas

emmykenzie

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallons
How long has the tank been running? about 7 or 8 months now?
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 goldfish 3 golden white cloud minnows

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? tetra easy strips 6 in 1 and ammonia test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 20 ppm
Nitrate: .5 ppm
pH: about 8? its darker that 7.8 but lighter than 8.4 on the key

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? what they can eat in like 2 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra goldfish flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? I fed them frozen brine shrimp for the 1st time on saturday

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 14 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? about an hour ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? 1 of the goldfish has a little white pimple looking thing on its body
Have you started any treatment for the illness? not yet, im about to do a water change
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? not really

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I went to look at my fishies (as one does) when i noticed that cavatappi has a white growth on his body. I didn't notice it this morning when i fed the fish but I might have missed it. Also now that im looking at my fish i noticed that the minnows are also looking weird. one of them looks... gravid? Thats weird,, one of them has like tiny black spots on him, and the other one looks fine. ziti and rigatoni (the other goldfish) dont seem to have anything physically wrong with them. None of them are acting weird, they're all still swimming around and sifting through the substrate like they normally do. I cant get a good picture of cavatappi so if anyone could give me some tips on that I'd appreciate it. I have primafix, melafix, and general cure tabs on hand. I was going to try to treat cavatppi on my own but i don't accidentally want to do more harm than good. Please help me figure out whats going on with my pastas
Hi! To start I want to say that I do not mean to come off as aggressive I only wish to help you solve your issue so please don't take anything I'm saying the wrong way.

Your nitrites are very high and your nitrates are very low. This is concerning considering your tank is over 1 year old, this leads me to believe your cycle may be broken. I'm gonna call in mattgirl

I'd like to mention that one Goldfish typically needs 20g and each additional goldfish requires another 10g. So your tank is a bit overstocked

How did Cavatappi eat this morning?

I'd like to follow this up by saying I own both goldfish and golden barbs. I can tell you I have experienced a white pimple like thing on my golden barbs in the past. I've watched a video that I CANNOT for the life of me find right now that explained its a form of fish herpes but is not detrimental to their health. I've had them develop the pimple like sore and then they simple disappear with no action on my part. I can't guarantee this is what's happening in your tank though.

This can also be a sign of HIH or Hole in Head. Beginning Stages of Hole in the Head? HELP! | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 483619
This article may help though it refers to a brackish tank.
This video shows every step of the disease.
Pictures would be very helpful.

Hope this helps and sorry your little guy is concerning you
Emily

Upvote 0

EntirelyEm

Hi! To start I want to say that I do not mean to come off as aggressive I only wish to help you solve your issue so please don't take anything I'm saying the wrong way.

Your nitrites are very high and your nitrates are very low. This is concerning considering your tank is over 1 year old, this leads me to believe your cycle may be broken. I'm gonna call in mattgirl

I'd like to mention that one Goldfish typically needs 20g and each additional goldfish requires another 10g. So your tank is a bit overstocked

How did Cavatappi eat this morning?

I'd like to follow this up by saying I own both goldfish and golden barbs. I can tell you I have experienced a white pimple like thing on my golden barbs in the past. I've watched a video that I CANNOT for the life of me find right now that explained its a form of fish herpes but is not detrimental to their health. I've had them develop the pimple like sore and then they simple disappear with no action on my part. I can't guarantee this is what's happening in your tank though.

This can also be a sign of HIH or Hole in Head. Beginning Stages of Hole in the Head? HELP! | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 483619
This article may help though it refers to a brackish tank.
This video shows every step of the disease.
Pictures would be very helpful.

Hope this helps and sorry your little guy is concerning you
Emily
thank you so much for responding! I know that its too small now, but i didn't know when i first got the tank. I'm working on upgrading it at the moment. Also, I totally get it, we all just want the best for the fish

He ate fine this morning, just like every other day. I'm in the process of changing my substrate, and I read that that could mess up your cycle. I decided to change 1/5 at a time in hopes of not disturbing the cycle, but I guess it didn't work as planned

I'll keep an eye on cavatappi, hopefully it'll go away. I'm prepared for HIH (I think) since I have general cure tabs. I'm going to do more water changes and hopefully it'll help at least a little.

(also) Emily

Upvote 0

emmykenzie

thank you so much for responding! I know that its too small now, but i didn't know when i first got the tank. I'm working on upgrading it at the moment. Also, I totally get it, we all just want the best for the fish

He ate fine this morning, just like every other day. I'm in the process of changing my substrate, and I read that that could mess up your cycle. I decided to change 1/5 at a time in hopes of not disturbing the cycle, but I guess it didn't work as planned

I'll keep an eye on cavatappi, hopefully it'll go away. I'm prepared for HIH (I think) since I have general cure tabs. I'm going to do more water changes and hopefully it'll help at least a little.

(also) Emily
Yes!! Please keep me updated! I think you definitely broke your cycle when changing out your substrate a lot of beneficial bacteria actually lives in the gravel. It's a good sign that he is eating but you should definitely look up some articles on fish in cycling if you're not familiar with doing so. A cheap alternative to separate your fish is to buy a sponge filter, air pump, and a plastic tub as a temporary home or to use as a hospital tank.

Just make sure that the water you are putting in the tank is safe and that no changes have happened to your water. One of my friends recently lost a good amount of his stock because his city treated his water to deal with a sewage problem. Give and Takes

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Do you have a pic?

Upvote 0

emmykenzie

Let me see if I can find the thread I started on here when I noticed this on my barbs, that way you may be able to factor out anything considering you can't get a good picture. I forgot to mention that these "Pimples" occurred during a fish in cycle with seeded media.

EDIT: Chinese Barb Disease/Growth | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 487732
I'm so sorry these pictures aren't more clear. It's tough to photograph my barbs they don't sit still for long. Does it look anything like this? The last picture is the easiest to see what I'm referring too.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Susibug
Replies
Views
SavTheArtist
Replies
Views
sailesh10115
Replies