White Patches On Pleco

jillianfaith

Reaction score
27448BFD-836D-4CD1-9F2A-1921C1122372.jpeg
C181CFDF-8E75-4607-AD6F-92A1A6FE8C17.jpeg
I have a longfin bristnose pleco in my 55 gallon that has developed white patches on it over the last two weeks. My ammonia has been .25 (it never goes below that) nitrite has been 0 and my nitrates got up to 40 once two weeks ago but I have kept them at 5-10 since by doing water changes since. I’ve had him a little over a month and he is eating perfectly fine and their are plenty of hiding spaces for him. The only other fish with him are cories and a guppy and they don’t have anything like it on them. I did a little research and some people were saying their pleco does this depending on mood but I couldn’t find pictures so I wanted to post on here to make sure it was nothing wrong.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The white blotches are likely a reaction to substandard water parameters. I've seen similar white blotches on new pleco arrivals at my LFS. The slightly elevated ammonia level in your tank is probably causing the problem.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never seen this on Elbert (that is him over there on the left) but then he is an albino so it wouldn't show on him. It did occasionally on Jethro the common pleco I used to have. He outgrew his home so he is now in a huge pond.

Lots of fishes colors can temporarily fade for various reasons. The first time it happened to Jethro was after a water change. I had to assume he wasn't happy with me messin' with his home. He was back to his normal coloration within a short period of time. It happened every now and then but I didn't worry about it because I knew he was alright.

Hopefully your little guy is back to his normal self by now. Just be sure he has places he can go to to just chill all by himself. Pleco's need places like caves to hang out in.

BTW: It seems several folks never get to a zero reading with their API test even when using it on water that couldn't possibly have ammonia in it. I would be willing to bet that low ammonia reading is not affecting your little guy.

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My Pleco did that when i put her in my 24 Gallon with white sand, when i put her back in the 36 she grew darker. It is most likely the fish trying to blend in like @DarkOne stated.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BTW: It seems several folks never get to a zero reading with their API test even when using it on water that couldn't possibly have ammonia in it. I would be willing to bet that low ammonia reading is not affecting your little guy.
If you can't get a zero reading on ammonia, there is an issue. It's not the test kit.

While I don't think the trace amounts ammonia affects the pleco, they are more sensitive to water quality and won't be good long term.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can't get a zero reading on ammonia, there is an issue. It's not the test kit.

While I don't think the trace amounts ammonia affects the pleco, they are more sensitive to water quality and won't be good long term.
That could very well be but another member just a couple of days ago was registering a .25 reading with his test kit. He ran the test on 4 different sources of water. One of them was distilled water. Even that one tested at .25 He got the same .25 reading with all 4 of the samples.

That tells me that it is possible for some of the API test solutions to give a false positive for ammonia. Mine never has but it is possible that others will.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom