20 Gallon Tank White particles in water

Fish5234
Hi, I have a 20g tank that is cycled (water reading currently at ph6.0 (water changes yesterday and I have coral in the filter to bring this up), ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5.0. For as long as I can remember I’ve had white particles floating in the tank. I thought If I waited long enough this might take care of themselves but they doesn’t seem to be the case. The fish don’t seem to mind but I’m curious as to what this might be. I’ve included pictures below. These white particles also like to get stuck on my plant or maybe they are coming from the plant?

I’ve had a bit of trouble keeping some of my plants as well. I’m not sure if this is correlated but I have an led light lid and some of my plants are cracking and the floating plants keep melting.

I haven’t cleaned my filter since I got it a few months ago but since my tank just cycled about 3 weeks ago I’m hesitant to do anything w the filter until the tank is more established. If you have any thoughts or suggestions please
Let me know.

Attachments

• BA023D88-9349-47E0-87FF-7FA8B79C78EE.jpeg
    BA023D88-9349-47E0-87FF-7FA8B79C78EE.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 40
  • A1C7FA24-4829-4AC6-B7AF-809B67397F91.jpeg
    A1C7FA24-4829-4AC6-B7AF-809B67397F91.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 43
  • CE80C6ED-D2C5-4AC6-947A-7830EFA46268.jpeg
    CE80C6ED-D2C5-4AC6-947A-7830EFA46268.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 37
Advertisement
FishBoy101
Hi, I have a 20g tank that is cycled (water reading currently at ph6.0 (water changes yesterday and I have coral in the filter to bring this up), ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5.0. For as long as I can remember I’ve had white particles floating in the tank. I thought If I waited long enough this might take care of themselves but they doesn’t seem to be the case. The fish don’t seem to mind but I’m curious as to what this might be. I’ve included pictures below. These white particles also like to get stuck on my plant or maybe they are coming from the plant?

I’ve had a bit of trouble keeping some of my plants as well. I’m not sure if this is correlated but I have an led light lid and some of my plants are cracking and the floating plants keep melting.

I haven’t cleaned my filter since I got it a few months ago but since my tank just cycled about 3 weeks ago I’m hesitant to do anything w the filter until the tank is more established. If you have any thoughts or suggestions please
Let me know.
I have that in my tank as well. It won't hurt the fish, I know that. I think it might just be bubbles/tiny pockets of air, rapidly going thorough the water and then disappearing. Mine are only next to the filter output.

I wouldn't switch your filter even if the filter cartridge is brown, that's just BB. Just never change it until you really really REALLY have to.

TheNacho
This could possibly be just pieces of the coral. If you do water changes and the situation doesn't change, it means the particles are coming from inside the aquarium. If not the coral, possibly a decoration (if you have one) could be dropping paint chips although that's unlikely because paint chips sink pretty fast.
Anyway, try a few frequent and small water changes (like, 15% every other day for a week) and if the particles stay it's probably the coral.

feeshi
It's a new tank fungus, I always get it for the first month or so until everything has stabilized and then it vanishes. I also have a low ph, dont think there is a correlation though as it seems other people get it too. It grows all over the tops of my heaters like a see through slime. It's never hurt any fish, actually my live bearers love to eat it.

UnknownUser
Do you have any moss plants? I know someone here got that type of situation because of dirty moss, they shook it and out came all sorts of those white bubble things! It’s pretty easy to tell if they’re micro bubbles or not. You can try shutting off the filter/airstone for an hour and see if it helps. If not, probably not bubbles. But again it’s usually easy to tell the difference between bubbles and other things.

As for your plant issue, floating plants don’t usually do well with covered tanks because the tops of their leaves get wet and cause melt. I just float my anubias nana instead, my bettas love sitting on the leaves. For the other plants you can try an all in one liquid fert like thrive or easy green.

And for the filter, i wouldn’t mess with it for the first few months. And if it’s extremely gunky / clogged, just swirl it around in dirty tank water during the water change. Never replace it completely.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kfishy17
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
A201
  • Question