White Particles Floating Around

1. dantonic

dantonic New Member Member

Hi,

For the past couple of weeks I've had these white particles floating around the tank. They are elongated, look like small fibers or something. Did multiple water changes and they're still there, they won't filter out.

I don't think they move or squiggle around as if they're alive or anything.

4 days ago the concentration seemed to have gone down a bit. I did a 50% water change, and they came back with a vengeance, in much higher concentration. The pics are what it looks like now.

Fish are doing fine. Levels are 0, 0, 5. pH is 8.

Any ideas what this is and how to clear it up?

Attached Files:

2. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Ugh!!!! This is exactly what's in my tank and no one here was really able to give me a definitive answer. I've been doing 75% water changes pretty much every single day because they come back so quickly, and more and more each time. They are in fact a living creature of some sort. If you shine a flash light on them you will probably see them moving in circles on your glass and what not. I wish I could help you! I've had them for weeks and they haven't harmed my betta fish any. What foods are you feeding him with? I kind of want to see if we can find some sort of common denominator as to why these things are in our tanks!

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    dantonic

I feed omega one freeze dried brine shrimp and tubifex worms, Hikari tropical semifloating micro pellets, api tropical flakes. (I had some aqueon sample flakes I used in the beginning, but threw them away a month ago.)

I have 8 neon tetras, and a wild guppy trio that just bred, so lots of little ones. I had 5 cherry shrimp (now 3, 2 died), a bunch of juvenile ramshorn that just bred. At least 2 juvenile assassin snails (didn't buy them, must have hitched a ride on some plants.)

Oh I've also fed some blanched spinach, and some dried up leaves from my garden. I only used fruit tree leaves, I thibk cherry and mulberry. I wonder if I introduced something with that, i didn't boil them.

For plants I have anubias, java fern, anacharis, amazon sword, cryptocoryne, water sprite, blyxa japonica.

The tank is relatively new, a couple of months old. This stuff just started 2 weeks ago. I have organic soil substrate covered by a good layer of river pebbles, a main piece of applewood, and a small piece of oak both of which I boiled and waterlogged prior to putting in the tank.

4. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Im going to go out on a limb on this one....since your tank environment is young it looks like some kind of algae or MTS baby snails look like this.

5. OP
    OP
    dantonic

They're not snails.

I did a small test, put some water in a clear glass to take a better look. Most of them settled to the bottom. When looking at them from the bottom of the glass it looks like they move with purpose, sometimes circling one way or the other, so I think they're not inanimate. They have no head or tail that I can detect. They're not growing bigger than what they are which is about 1mm in length and very thin.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this is and how to get rid of it? Algae wouldn't move like that would it?

Thank you

6. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Seed shrimp?

7. OP
    OP
    dantonic

Didn't know what seed shrimp are, had to look it up. Doesn't look like it to me. Theyblook more like super skinny rods, like a worm but not really. They're the thickness of a hair through their length which is about 1-2mm

8. Y

Yeoyo New Member Member

They are Planeria. Small flatworms. Lots of people get them. They are not dangerous to your fish but a symptom of another problem. You are most likely overfeedimg your fish. These worms will sprout in from pretty much any water source. What you have to do to get rid of them is clean your gravel really good several days in a row. After you get rid of them do not over feed your fish. If there's any left over food at all after a feeding it means you are feeding too much. Google Planeria in Aquarium and you'll get lots of people with the same experience. It is very common.

9. OP
    OP
    dantonic

I thought about planeria as well, but they don't look like any of the pictures I've seen online. They only float and move with the current, they don't stay on any surface, and they're not getting any bigger. I've started feeding less regardless.

10. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I have little white things that go on circle patterns in my shrimp tank and its a harmless creature that simply means you have a clean healthy tank! I cannot remember the name of these creatures. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the name. Or maybe i can find it online

Edit: FOUND IT: copepods