White Mouth

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Neverstop1111, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Neverstop1111

Neverstop1111Valued MemberMember

My friends electric blue cichlids mouth is all white and puffy.
    I just did a water change. And none of the other elec blues are like that. Nore are my ob peacocks. I hear it's just them with the pecking order

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

The photo isn't the best but it could be mouth rot. Just to let you know, that appears to be a blue zebra whereas electric blue cichlids often refers to the blue ahli.

African cichlids will often lip lock to establish dominance but this might not be the case. Most the time you will see dark "bruised" lips, not white and torn up lips. That fish is too young IMO to even begin lip locking as it is most often adult males going at it and sometimes females. Is the fish eating? Can you tell us the parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, temp) along with tank size?

3. OP
    OP
    Neverstop1111

Neverstop1111Valued MemberMember

My thermometer doesn't keep an accurate temp.but around 70 f. Ammonia is 0.25ppm nitrate no2 is maybe 2.0 or 5.0 Ppm tank size is 20 g

4. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I see many things wrong here. 70 is a bit cold, 75 is ideal. There should be no ammonia or nitrites in the water, both are harmful at even small amounts. This could be the main cause of his mouth issues. Water changes need to be preformed to get the levels down. Sounds to me the tank was not cycled (Nitrogen Cycle) before adding the fish.

20gals is far too small for African cichlids. Blue zebras get tight around 5-6 inches, same for peacocks. A 55gal is the smallest tank I’d keep them in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice