White Mold On Gravel Substrate?

Lilanne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been fighting a water clarity problem for a few days now. I just walked in from my Graveyard shift, turned the lights on for the tank and discovered what looks like white mold all over my gravel substate. Did a 50% water change yesterday, all my fish appear to be doing alright. Do I just vacuum the gravel or do I need to remove all of it and thoroughly clean it?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am not sure mold can grow underwater so I suspect some kind of white algae or fungus. If this is a fairly new tank it might go through lots of unsightly things before it is fully established. I wouldn't remove and clean it.

I just checked your profile and if it is up to date I see that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle (just cycle for short) and you have a 1 gallon tank for your Betta. If that is all correct we can help you set up your water pet a more comfortable home.

Click on the blue words and it will take you to information on cycling his home.

Lilanne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am not sure mold can grow underwater so I suspect some kind of white algae or fungus. If this is a fairly new tank it might go through lots of unsightly things before it is fully established. I wouldn't remove and clean it.

I just checked your profile and if it is up to date I see that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle (just cycle for short) and you have a 1 gallon tank for your Betta. If that is all correct we can help you set up your water pet a more comfortable home.

Click on the blue words and it will take you to information on cycling his home.
It's my 10gal tank that's having issues. I have a snail that died and the white stuff appears to have started where he was at and spread to all the uneaten food. I feel like I really should clean the gravel as my plecos don't seem to be touching the yuck on the bottom, they like the back of the filter.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Clean it, it is a fungus that is eating the dead material left over, if you are feeding enough to have food left over on the ground you are feeding too (at least for it to be growing fungus). Clean it up with a gravel vac, if you don't get it all it will have to wait for the next day.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is a case of more information and an updated profile helps. I agree with @Mcasella . Use your gravel vac and get as much as possible of it out of there. If this tank is cycled you could disrupt your cycle if your plan was to remove the gravel to clean it. Vacuuming the gravel shouldn't disrupt it.

Lilanne

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's still not as clean as I want but I ended up vacuuming as much as I could. I couldn't get it all as I ended up doing a 70% water change. Now I'm hoping I didn't stress my fish out too much. They're very active right now though
20180706_104028.jpg

It's still not as clean as I want but I ended up vacuuming as much as I could. I couldn't get it all as I ended up doing a 70% water change. Now I'm hoping I didn't stress my fish out too much. They're very active right now though
20180706_104028.jpg
Somewhat better pic
20180706_103954.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is looking good. Just continue vacuuming the gravel with each water change and be sure not to over feed. If you see some of the food reaching the bottom and the fish aren't picking it up you may be over feeding. I have cory's in my tank so everything that hits the bottom gets cleaned up quickly but if you don't have a bottom feeder then it just sits there and grows fungus.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom