White Mites/bugs, Harmless Or Parasites?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cheesewoman, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Cheesewoman

CheesewomanValued MemberMember

I noticed over the last few days that I have nematode worms in my Betta tank, and have also had a sudden explosion of pest snails, but these don't worry me as I know they're harmless, I vacuum and water change regularly so...

The issue is that I just noticed some other creatures in the tank, they're very tiny, white, on the glass and plants, have long thin bodies that seem to bunch up into 2 bulbs (a bit like a bug), and these long feelers/legs. I tried to get a picture of one, but as they're so small the camera wouldn't focus.

Are these dangerous to my fish and do I need to do something about these?? He seems healthy and happy, and water params are all good. download_20180624_203852.jpg

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Congratulations, you have hydra.

Hydra are freshwater relatives of jellyfish, corals, and anemones. They are borderline immortal and like their marine cousins possess stinging cells in their tentacles. For most inhabitants these are harmless, or at the very least a minor nuisance, but baby shrimp and small fish can be injured or even killed. My cousin has hydra in his betta tank. They are the green variety, which are even harder to kill because they possess symbiotic algae that produce energy for them!

Trying to manually remove them can actually increase their numbers, as they can reproduce through budding and fragmentation. Any bits left can reform into new hydra.

3. OP
    OP
    Cheesewoman

Thanks for the informative reply! I did think that it could be hydra but wasn't 100%.. so I guess I'm stuck with these things now as they're immortal hehe. As long as they're not harmful I'll leave them be, seems I'm getting every pest under the sun lately... My other tank has other similar creatures but the have legs and move very fast, crawling all over my driftwood I don't suppose you'd know what those are too?

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

You can allegedly treat hydra by increasing the temperature, though I've never had them so I can't say if it works or not.

If the invaders have legs and scurry over your driftwood it sounds like copepods or amphipods. Don't worry, these are completely harmless and your betta probably snacks on them occasionally.

5. OP
    OP
    Cheesewoman

Possibly copepods I'd say after googling.

I may try the heat thing for the hydra, but only if they become a problem

Thanks again for your replies!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice