White marks on betta's body?

BenjiBear

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 15 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 10 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 27C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) a single male betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 30-50%
What do you use to treat your water? tetra aqua safe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? just the water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 6.7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 5 times a week, once a day
How much do you feed your fish? a few pellets/worms depending on what im feeding
What brand of food do you feed your fish? various brands (fluval/tetra/JBL)
Do you feed frozen? occasionally
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? for 8 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? this morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? seems weak, lethargic and has weird white patches almost
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? yes, listed above in symptoms

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

So this morning after my cory crisis I noticed one of my Bettas, Vincent, is very very lethargic when normally he's super excited for breakfast. He's lying around on the substrate and seems pale in colour. He also didnt eat very much when usually he loves to eat like all bettas. I noticed weird white things on his side that weren't there before, i'll attach photos. Im really scared for him so if anyone has any ideas please help, i have all the meds i need so can start treating him immediately. Thanks

20210812_154310.jpg
20210812_154140.jpg
Edit: He's basically been sat in the same spot for hours so i really am super worried now :(

Karmie121506

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 15 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 10 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 27C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) a single male betta
He is beautiful. How old is he, you seem to be taking great care of him. Was there anything in the tank that he could of eaten that was harmful?? Just get some aquarium salt and or melafix. I've also heard of worms coming out of fish sometimes. I don't know how to treat worms. I would also try raising the ph to a 7.0 just to be safe and maby raise the temp to a 25 or 26 c. Good luck

BenjiBear

He is beautiful. How old is he, you seem to be taking great care of him. Was there anything in the tank that he could of eaten that was harmful?? Just get some aquarium salt and or melafix. I've also heard of worms coming out of fish sometimes. I don't know how to treat worms. I would also try raising the ph to a 7.0 just to be safe and maby raise the temp to a 25 or 26 c. Good luck

Thank you! I think he's probably about a year old but i bought him from a chain store so im not 100% on that. I've decided that it might be a swim bladder issue? He seems to just sit at the bottom and not move, it's very sudden as yesterday he was okay. He can come up to the surface but it seems to be a struggle for him which is why im thinking swim bladder

BenjiBear

So does anyone know if its normal for a betta with swim bladder to literally lie on the bottom and never move? Like he looks dead honestly but his gills are moving and im literally so worried :(

Tagging BigManAquatics cause i know you're good with them

BenjiBear

Note: im closing this thread because unfortunately Vincent passed away this evening :(

Coradee

Sorry to hear he didn’t make it :(

NearMeBettas

An fyi, sometimes big chain fish are inbred and have genetic issues. It may not be your fault, you appear to be doing everything right. Try a reputable breeder next time if you attempt a next time. I'm really sorry for your loss, its hard. :(

BenjiBear

An fyi, sometimes big chain fish are inbred and have genetic issues. It may not be your fault, you appear to be doing everything right. Try a reputable breeder next time if you attempt a next time. I'm really sorry for your loss, its hard. :(
good call, only he and one other are chain bettas, the rest are from a breeder i trust now :) Thank you though!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
LGlassie
Replies
Views