white male Molly

mrsjcc0312

Reaction score
I have a 20 gal. tank, with 1 male white Molly, 1 white fem. molly and 1 Dalmatian molly, along with a 2" Cichlid and my birthing tank. Over the past week, my husband has pointed out that my male molly has been slowly turning a grayish color, from top of his body, towards his belly. Is this normal, or could he possibly have a disease that I should be concerned about? I know, recently, the 1 fem. Dalmatian Molly I had, literally jumped out of the tank while we were out of town and has died. Could he be stressed over it? ???
Somebody please help me here. I have taken in this wonderful hobby and I truly adore my new found friends, I'm really concerned about this.

~Johnnie~

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have a picture of him to post? What are your current water chemistry numbers?

Please check this link: and see if anything listed matches his symptoms, particularly "mouth or body fungus".

OP
M

mrsjcc0312

Reaction score
This is what he looks like now. Not too good of a picture, but he was all white before hand. Now my other white Molly is showing the same symptoms. No cotton-like build up on either of them, just the grayinsh discoloration. The pet store suggested that it might be a "body fungus". Is there anything here at home that I can do to helo with this?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mrsjcc0312 said:
This is what he looks like now. Not too good of a picture, but he was all white before hand. Now my other white Molly is showing the same symptoms. No cotton-like build up on either of them, just the grayinsh discoloration. The pet store suggested that it might be a "body fungus". Is there anything here at home that I can do to helo with this?
Fungus Clear made by Jungle Labs is a product we use, with a good reputation.. it will dye some tank decor so you'll want to remove those (we've left plants in & they seem ok) and we handle it with disposable gloves, but it works well on a LOT of conditions. You can find it at most places like walmart, petsmart, fish shops, etc.
- This is what it looks like.

OP
M

mrsjcc0312

Reaction score
OK, after feeling like a total idiot, I found out what was wrong with my Mollie's. I actually took them into PetSmart and the lady fish expert there explained that they have been mating. They're both turning in color over stress. The male keeps getting at the female and she's fighting him off...lol.

So for those of you who have Mollie's, if they change colors, don't always think the worst, they couold just be mating.

Thank you for helping me out,
~Johnnie~

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mrsjcc0312 said:
OK, after feeling like a total idiot, I found out what was wrong with my Mollie's. I actually took them into PetSmart and the lady fish expert there explained that they have been mating. They're both turning in color over stress. The male keeps getting at the female and she's fighting him off...lol.

So for those of you who have Mollie's, if they change colors, don't always think the worst, they couold just be mating.

Thank you for helping me out,
~Johnnie~
I'll have to remember that. I didn't know Mollys did that. I'm glad it turned out to be that & not a sickness.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom