White Lips On Boesemani Rainbowfish?

LunaSky

I got 4 beosemanI rainbows two days ago from a LPS. Yesterday I noticed three of the four have white upper lips. My concern is they could have cotton mouth and already affected my other fish in the tank. I am not sure if this is what it is though. They are very healthy otherwise, active, eating well, and their colors are turning out to be great!

They are currently in a 55 gallon with live plants. If any treatment is needed, it has to be plant friendly. I do not have a quarantine tank as I do not have room for a second tank so I would have to treat the whole tank. I also do 25% water changes (using an electric quick vac first before siphoning the water out). I'm just not sure if they actually have cotton mouth. So any ideas?

I tried to add photos but it doesn't seem to be working. So here is a link to a couple photos I was able to take (not very good ones).

AlyeskaGirl

It is a common thing for Rainbowfish. Do 25-30% daily water changes. See if that will clear it up.

Joebc

The exact same thing happened to me a about 6 months ago (and I do mean exact...weird).
-4 boesemanI rainbows home from lps.
-Went into my 55gal planted tank.
-Within a few days their mouths looked white and I could even see a bit of white hanging off of the lips of 2 of them.
I panicked and moved them into a qt and treated for cotton mouth. Seemed to clear up after a week. Put them back in main tank, but it came back a few weeks later. Took a more measured approach this time as again none of the other fish in the tank were showing any signs, and the rainbows were otherwise healthy looking/acting. Made sure water parameters were good and did 2x/week water changes. Went away on its own in about a week. Has been seen once more since then, again with no other symptoms and not affecting other fish and went away on its own. I really don't know if it was cotton mouth, as I thought it very contagious. It's been a few months since I have seen any sign of it, and everyone is healthy.
Based on my experience, I would follow AlyeskaGirl's advice as long the other fish are free of symptoms snd it isn't getting worse.

LunaSky

Well, it is no longer just my rainbows, my rainbow shark, pearl gourami and one of my angels all have the same white fuzz growing on their lips. Yesterday I started treating them with (I don't have the package with me) it starts with a "e" and is made by API. I noticed the other ones had them during the water change last night. They still all seem to be very happy, vibrant colors, and eating well, but I will keep treating them the way I am unless someone else has any suggestions.

Joebc

Sorry it's not going the way it did for me. I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cdwag29
Replies
Views
Aeternus
Replies
Views
Lebeeze
Replies
Views