White Lesion On Celestial Pearl Danio

RunsOnCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yesterday while doing tank maintenance I noticed that one of my celestial pearl danios has a white lesion on his side. He is the smallest of the 15 CPD in my 10 gal. I at first suspected bullying and managed to get a good picture of the wound. I decided to stay on top of my WC and monitor him over the next few days. I added a dose of Seachem Stressguard.

Today I checked on him again and took another picture to see if there are differences. And it appears the lesion has grown. :-(
He is swimming a little funny, as if he is trying to not tip on to his side. And his scales are beginning to raise. :-(
The only "meds" I have on hand right now are Stressguard and Paraguard.

Water parameters are pH: 6.6, NH3: 0, NO2: 0, NO3: 5

I keep 15 CPD with 12 Amano and 16 RCS. (I know, bordering to crowded, but heavily planted and overfiltered AC30.)
Temperature is 76°F
I do 10% WC every 2 to 3 days

All the rocks are smooth and there is no other decor that could have injured him. I only have live plants.

Any advice on how to proceed? I was thinking of maybe trying General Cure (which I'd have to pick up first thing tomorrow) in case it's HLLE, or maybe I need to break out the big gun - Kanaplex since he is beginning to pinecone?

My poor little guy. :-(

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated!
20190704_193238.jpg
20190704_194100.jpg
20190704_190954.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you caught him easily you should not have put him back IME ..Healthy are not easily caught ..
I would remove that single fish and monitor before I dose the tank .
Most bacterial treatments that stand a chance of working will not work for a tank with shrimp IMO ..
Looks to be columnaris to me which step one in treatment is to remove and euth any fish showing symptoms ..Then they go on to dosing the whole tank hard and crossing every finger.
10% every 2-3 day does not really do much IMO ,I would step up on that considerably ..
One large water change is better then several smaller ones even if they "equal " out..

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If he is pineconing get him medicines for internal bacteria ASAP. As for the mark it looks to be an injury, but I could be wrong. Keep your water clean so it doesn’t get infected. If it grows larger it is likely an ulcer

RunsOnCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If he is pineconing get him medicines for internal bacteria ASAP. As for the mark it looks to be an injury, but I could be wrong. Keep your water clean so it doesn’t get infected. If it grows larger it is likely an ulcer
Thanks for the quick reply! Planning on heading to the pet store first thing tomorrow morning. Everything is closed now...

RunsOnCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you caught him easily you should not have put him back IME ..Healthy are not easily caught ..
I would remove that single fish and monitor before I dose the tank .
Most bacterial treatments that stand a chance of working will not work for a tank with shrimp IMO ..
Looks to be columnaris to me which step one in treatment is to remove and euth any fish showing symptoms ..Then they go on to dosing the whole tank hard and crossing every finger.
10% every 2-3 day does not really do much IMO ,I would step up on that considerably ..
One large water change is better then several smaller ones even if they "equal " out..
Thank you for your input as well. For now I am hoping it isn't columnaris. I would hate to have to euthanize the little fella. However, I do agree with you - healthy fish don't get caught easily. It took a bit to catch him for the photo yesterday, but he was slower today.
On the WCs. I was recommended to do smaller more frequent water changes due to the shrimp. pH out of tap is 7.8 - in tank 6.6. How big of a water change would you recommend?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am NOT a shrimp keeper but have heard they like less then most fish ?
That may itself be or become a reason for issue..
Lightly stocked fish tanks should get 50% every week ..That only removes 1/2 of what you and your fish added … Even eaten food turns to waste...
1 fish out of 15 is not a homicide it is a sacrifice ..There are still 14 others ,for now ...Meds and shrimp don't mix either ...

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sounds like they have been doing good then !
Often they are sold with an internal parasite that causes 'wasting 'disease..
I see water quality being your issue which hopefully can be fixed easily ..
Many pros say the fish tell them about the water ,your weakest fish is saying something ...

RunsOnCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sounds like they have been doing good then !
Often they are sold with an internal parasite that causes 'wasting 'disease..
I see water quality being your issue which hopefully can be fixed easily ..
Many pros say the fish tell them about the water ,your weakest fish is saying something ...
I guess I will be doing daily water changes in the next few weeks and see how things improve.
Other than upping my WC, how do I treat "wasting disease"?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is not wasting disease IMO. You would have lost one or more already probably and it would be skinny like wasting away ..
Not what is going on IMO.
Don't let the little guy die in tank and go unnoticed ..Picking and eating on other dead fish is the most common method of disease transmission in aquaria.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you should euthanise.
As stated before these issues are seen in CPD's all over the world.
There also have been several threads on here about issues likewise. Personally I think it is a viral issue like DGD (no proof)

I still think it would be an idea to have subforums about species-specific issues.

Dwarf Gouramis Disease, Columnaris and white lumps on neons, these issues, etc etc.....

It is undoable to search through all threads in case of a new question, though the same answers are given again and again.
This is not meand for the OP btw, but for the mods.

In those cases we can simply refer to the specific subforum to see pics, issues and answers alike over a long period of time.

RunsOnCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you should euthanise.
As stated before these issues are seen in CPD's all over the world.
There also have been several threads on here about issues likewise. Personally I think it is a viral issue like DGD (no proof)

I still think it would be an idea to have subforums about species-specific issues.

Dwarf Gouramis Disease, Columnaris and white lumps on neons, these issues, etc etc.....

It is undoable to search through all threads in case of a new question, though the same answers are given again and again.
This is not meand for the OP btw, but for the mods.

In those cases we can simply refer to the specific subforum to see pics, issues and answers alike over a long period of time.
Thank you for sharing. I will look into both diseases you mentioned. I agree that sub forums for species specific diseases would be helpful.

Thanks again to all of you who replied. Little guy is looking a little worse this morning, so I definitely have to consider euthanasia. :-(

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same symptoms on one of my male CPDs just last week. Started with an odd wound at the side, then he started pineconing. Decided to euthanize him yesterday.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom