White Layer On Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by saket, Apr 16, 2017.

1. saket

saket Valued Member Member

20170416_184849.jpg 20170416_184720.jpg
    my friend got a 15 gallon and kept 3 gold fish in it. this one is nit that active and sits on the bottom but is eating well. tank is not cycled. he also discovered ich in his tank. what does he need to do?

2. OP
    OP
    saket

he just noticed that the scales of the fishes have gone white are protuding out what is it?

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

If the scales are protruding it's dropsy and the fish is as good as dead. :(

That being said, three goldfish, even two, in a fifteen gallon is WAY to over crowded. Goldie's like that, commons or comets, get two feet long and are very messy fish. One alone needs at least a 55 gallon minimum. The amount of waste they make is what will ruin your water peramiters and make you fish sick. Best option is to rehome then.

4. Summer22

Summer22 Valued Member Member

I could be wrong but the white looks like a fungal disease,   (see if this link works, scroll down to fungal infection). The scales popping out like pine cone could be dropsy  

I don't mean to be critical at a tough time but 15 gallons is way way way too small for 3 goldfish. Especially commet type goldfish. Those guys get way long and many think they aren't even suitable for tanks at all. I have 3 fancy type goldfish in my 50 gallon tank and it's considered fully stocked (some might add one more). Unfortunately your friends goldfish's growth will be stunted but their insides keep growing in cramped body and they will die.

5. OP
    OP
    saket

omg that is very sad :( i will have a talk with him and see what can be done what shoukd he do with the fish? keep him andtry treating him or .....(u knw the sad thing) . what can be done of itch? he has got butterflyfin goldfish and a multi coloured goldie. they have itch.

6. OP
    OP
    saket

i will look upto the article and see what he can do. he has no idea about fishes and the lfs said you could fit in 5 or more in there so sad how they see fish like that.... i dont think that he can rehome him somewhere even the lfs wont take them i think any suggestions to what can be done?

7. Summer22

Summer22 Valued Member Member

Just an FYI.... if it gets to the point of no return and it looks a fish is suffering near the end you can humanely euthanize with clove oil. You put the fish in a smallish container with their own tank water in it and in a separate small jar mix some of that tank water with about 10 drops of clove oil and put lid on so you can vigorously shake it to mix oil with water. Then you add that mixture to the container the fish is in and it will pass within a few minutes. Google a video of this to see how to do it if you like. I think the you tuber "Pure Gold" (think that's her name) has a video that shows all steps. I've had to do this 2 times and it's very quick if done right.

I only have experience with ick. The most common way to treat this is to increase the temp to around 86 for 2 weeks and this will usually kill ick but you have to add an air stone to take to get more oxygen in water as higher temps decrease the amount of dissolved O2 in water. Ick is opportunistic and attacks fish with lowered immune systems so they may never heal if you can't solve original problem.

As for dropsy and fungal disease I don't know how.

Good luck

8. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Sadly, most people at fish stores know nothing about them and as some people have said, all they care about is the money. Fancy goldfish are really the only ones that can be in an average tank and even one of them need a 20-30 gallon minimum. ALWAY get a second option. People on here have experience and more importantly they don't want your money.

If it's a fungus it can usually be treated but if it's already gotten to dropsy then there is nothing you can do. As I said, rehoming is the best option for them to either a much bigger cold water tank or a pond. Until then, lots of water changes to try and keep the water perimeters as low as possible and prevent the other two from getting sick (if they are not already)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice