White Hair And Brown Algae

Kjacqu21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have both white hair algae and brown algae in my tank. I clean my tank weekly and have two moss balls, and I limit the light to 8 hours on the rest off. How do I stop this algae??

Pictusboss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Water changes, and if your tank is large enough, you can add some sort of algae eater as long as you don't have fish that are likely to get bullied. Pleco's are NOT algae eaters. They make products that kill algae too. Good filtration can help. They also have magnet glass cleaners at pet stores that you can clean the glass with, and you can also try gravel vacuuming the substrate.

Kjacqu21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do weekly water changes and I use the gravel vacuum every water change. I have two moss balls. Unfortunately I cannot get any more fish because I'm just under capacity for them to be comfortable. I'll try to get the magnet and just remove all I see and see if that helps.

Pictusboss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
maybe up the water changes (just to get rid of the algae. You are doing enough normally) and an algae killing product. Just make sure it is safe for fish before you use it and follow the instructions.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would not add any algae eaters, unless it's something like a nerite snail. I would not add any algae killing products either - they can be harmful to your fish or inverts.

Can you take a pic of the algae?

How long has your tank been set up?

Last edited:

Pictusboss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would not add any algae eaters, unless it's something like a nerite snail.

Can you take a pic of the algae?

How long has your tank been set up?

Why not? if she has a large tank and allowable stocking shouldn't it be ok?

You are the master so whatever you say is probably more reliable than what I think.

Kjacqu21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We got a very small bristlenose pleco. Like barley and inch. He was going to town on the brown algae earlier, but I had a fish have fry so I had to spend time taking the tank apart finding drys so he's hiding for now. He's really helped in the little he did

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom