White Hair Algae???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by veiltalemale, Apr 17, 2017.

1. veiltalemaleNew MemberMember

Hello everyone. First off I'd like to thank you for opening up my thread. I am new to fish keeping (and loving it!), so please be patient with me.

Let's start with my set up, I have a 5.5 gallon tank, the only fish I have is a betta. I have an air stone, fake plants, one moss ball, and a lot of hiding spots for my betta. There is a light attached to the hood, (which I keep on longer than I probably should), my tank came with a 10 gallon filter - but I've toyed around with it a bit and found a way to slow down the filter to the point that it no longer pushes my betta around. All readings from my test strips have been normal and my tank is heated 80 degrees.
    I think my tank has white hair algae. There is white stringy hairs attached to the fake plants. I've read that it might be due to lack of oxygen - which couldn't be a possibility for my tank since I have an air stone which I have on often. I've seen other threads and the algae in my tank is not nearly as bad as others.
    I just cleaned my tank, and tried to remove as much as I could - so I don't have any good pictures. So I only have a couple questions...
    How do I remove white hair algae?
    Is it harmful to my betta?
    Could it possibly be anything else since I don't have any live plants?

Thank you so much everyone.

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

How long do u leave your light on for. In my experience 6 to 8 hrs max is more than enough. Also how often and how large are your water changes

3. OP
    OP
    v

veiltalemaleNew MemberMember

Roughly 10 or 11 hours. I have school and work throughout the day so it gets a bit hard to come home just to turn off the light. When my fish was sick I did 50-75% water changes daily for a week and a half. Now that my fish is healed, I do 50% every week.

4. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

As long as you keep using that many hours for lighting, you may continue to have that and other algae problems. You can get a timer to automatically turn the lights on and off when you're not home.

5. OP
    OP
    v

veiltalemaleNew MemberMember

I was actually going to ask about timers, have you ever had one? If so, what do you recommend?

6. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

This:  

Don't overthink it :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice