White Growth on Silicon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TankTech, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TankTechValued MemberMember

I have a new 10 gallon tank, running for about one week. There are white blotches of something :eek: growing on the silicon at all four corners of the tank. Any ideas of what that would be? Is it anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

2. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Hey, welcome to fish lore .

Can you post some pictures?

3. TankTechValued MemberMember

Picture of the White Growth on Silicon

IMG_2160.JPG

It is hard to get a close up of this and stay in focus. You can see the white dots on the silicon. I am not sure if you can zoom in on the picture as posted through the website. Hope this helps. It does not appear to be algae. I think of algae as green, brown, or reddish.

4. JunneFishlore LegendMember

They look like Nerite snail eggs

5. TankTechValued MemberMember

Does that mean I could have a whole tank full of snails? That does not sound too good. Anyway, when I look closely they do not look like eggs to me. But I have never seen a snail egg. It looks like some kind of growth.

6. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Do you have Nerite snails in your tank? Its kind of hard to tell from the pics but thats what they look like.

Are they hard shelled and tiny like oval sesame seeds?

And unless you have brackish water, they will not hatch in your fw tank.

7. TankTechValued MemberMember

There are no snails in my tank that I am aware of, unless they hitched a ride on some of the plants I bought. I do not notice any snails.

8. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Put a piece of zucchini in the middle of your tank... if you have any they will go right to it

9. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

They do look like some sort of egg to me. What fish do you have in this tank? Its possible they laid unfertilized eggs that have now started molding. Which is why they look fuzzy to you..

Since they are molding, or seem like a growth I would remove them and do a good water change.

10. guster730Valued MemberMember

What kind of fish do you have? My angelfish lay eggs on the wall although I don't have any males so they just get eaten or vacuumed.

11. TankTechValued MemberMember

I have glowlight tetras. Just two of them right now, as this is a new tank. Come to think of it, one of the glowlights was really big when we got it. I asked my wife to check its size, and she said it looks smaller now. It may have been carrying eggs! Would the glowlight deposit her eggs on the silicon? Can these eggs hatch?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  12. TankTechValued MemberMember

If these are eggs, they never hatched. I think tunastrack is right, I need to scrap them off and do a good water change. I am thinking a good 20% water change should be sufficient.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  13. fishlover123456New MemberMember

no concern here just a bacterial bloom

14. fishlover123456New MemberMember

although they could be eggs i doubt it because you haven't had the tank that long

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice