Help White Growth On Gold Ram Mouth

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a male gold ram 5 days and it appears to have a white growth on the mouth (see picture). From what i've read it is most likely Columnaris and I should remove it from the tank immediately to prevent spread. I can put it in a pail with a small heater and sponge filter. Should I attempt to treat and if so how? Also if I put the heater and sponge filter in the pail will they be ruin (contaminate and useless with healthy fishes?). I've included a picture - it is a bit blurry but I think it is visible. I do not see a wisp structure that suggest fungus but not sure (hate to kill a healthy fish):

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mouth rot tends to be fish specific, but can spread if tank mates are allowed to graze on an infected corpse.
No sense pressing your luck. It would be a good to remove the Ram asap.
Treating the hospital tank with antibiotics will likely put a dent in if not destroy the BB in your filter media. Recovery is possible, but not likely. Damaged mouth tissue does not regenerate. Difficult to determine from the pic if the white growth is a fungus attached to damaged tissue or bacteria infected tissue.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see it but if there is another male it is likely injury and may heal in clean water ..
If it is only male then it could be anything and most are hard to 'Cure' ..Too many feel treatment solves the problem when often it masks it ..

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't mind destroying the bacteria in a sponge filter since the tank has 2 sponge filter and 2 canister filters. I've put the fish in a 5 gallon pail for now and will await further responses before deciding what to do. the temp will remain at 80 till night when it might drop to 78 without a heater. I don't mind treating the fish if there is some reasonable chance of recovery but I don't wnat to spend $20 or $30 on a $8 ram. I can try to take another picture. Also should I do something special with the net I used to catch him.

A201 said:
Mouth rot tends to be fish specific, but can spread if tank mates are allowed to graze on an infected corpse.
No sense pressing your luck. It would be a good to remove the Ram asap.
Treating the hospital tank with antibiotics will likely put a dent in if not destroy the BB in your filter media. Recovery is possible, but not likely. Damaged mouth tissue does not regenerate. Difficult to determine from the pic if the white growth is a fungus attached to damaged tissue or bacteria infected tissue.
So leave him in a 5 gallon pail with sponge filter and heater for a week and see what happens or put him back in the main tank ?

coralbandit said:
I don't see it but if there is another male it is likely injury and may heal in clean water ..
If it is only male then it could be anything and most are hard to 'Cure' ..Too many feel treatment solves the problem when often it masks it ..

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Observation is best and affordable since you have removed him .
Do you another male in the same tank ?

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes I have two males and two females - the male that seemed to develop the white growth around the mouth was the one bullied. The other three fishes appear fine. This morning the one with the white growth barely ate but the other three ate very aggressively (I fed them frozen bloodworms - which I do once a week - since I missed last night feeding). He is in a 5 gallon pail with 4 gallons of water; a mature sponge filter and a heater set to 82. I can't really see the growth well in the pail since it is not clear; the biggest problem with the pail is that there is not a lot of swimming room. I could stop by the store and pick up something long and narrow (maybe a 10 gallon ) if you think it would make a big difference. I can also toss in some floating plants.
-
Actually I have a 20 gallon sterilite that I used to move the fishes during the summer. I put him in that with a bit more room.

coralbandit said:
Observation is best and affordable since you have removed him .
Do you another male in the same tank ?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe damage from a lip lock fight?

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Hum. One thing I will say is with him out of the tanks the dynamics are a lot better - i.e, no aggression at all among the other fishes. Not sure what to do if he turns out to be fine in a week - guess I'll have to put him back in but kind of dislike the constant chasing. The other three seem to get along fine.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is likely bullying ,but he won't get back in successfully ever IMO. If you just added him and the other was there first he had no chance .If they both arrived together he lost ..
What size tank and were there enough hides ?
Rams do best in pairs long term ..Odd numbers rarely work for long ..

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
The tank is 120 gallon (48 long 24 high 24 wide). It is moderately planted - lots of jungle val on one side and a bushy java fern on the other side but no rocks (other than the substrate). There is a small driftwood that the loaches hide under but it doesn't really provide hiding places above (nana anubia cover the top).
-
Both males arrived together and this one lost. I'll keep him in the steralite a week to make sure he is ok and then take him back to the lfs if he is healthy. The only major problem is the isolation and lack of bright lights but the water should be decent and a bit warmer than the main tank (82 vs 80). He is a nice looking fish but if there is no chance for him to make it in the tank i'm not sure it is worth putting him back just to die.

coralbandit said:
It is likely bullying ,but he won't get back in successfully ever IMO. If you just added him and the other was there first he had no chance .If they both arrived together he lost ..
What size tank and were there enough hides ?
Rams do best in pairs long term ..Odd numbers rarely work for long ..

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Hum - would a 20 long work with this fish and perhaps add a female - and nothing else or a couple of cardinals. If a 20 long is too short (12 inches high) a regular 20 ?

New Threads